Keep clear of Magnets

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by djtony, Oct 15, 2008.

  1. djtony

    djtony New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Rotherham

    For years I've used a magnetic mount for a mobile phone in my car. Didn't think anything about it and put a mounting plate on the back of my i phone. Seemed ok for short while but it locked up. Wouldn't do anything- turn on, recognise the charger etc. Took the phone back and it was exchanged and it was suggested by the Apple Tech that I try again and see if that is the problem. Low and behold it happened again. However 12 hours later the second phone worked again but with a very low battery. It may be that the magnet drains the battery very quickly. Never had this problem with any other phone so do other phone manufacturers fit a magnetic shield to protect the solid state phone memory/battery. If that is the case then Apple haven't fully thought through the spec of the phone. Probably the case as there is no Multimedia MMS, Short video capture, Message forwarding & low resolution camera

    This isn't a dig at Apple as i think the i phone is great and wouldn't be without it but there are a number of features that I have lost and would like to see them on the next generation

    Tony
     
  2. cobalt.rednitaj

    cobalt.rednitaj Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2009
    Messages:
    89

    man you are true to that! it is surely because of battery leakage..the magnetic holder for sure has a pretty strong magnetic field and so it could mess up working of the ferrous parts inside the phone.. so try avoiding it!
     
  3. attagirl2

    attagirl2 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    Messages:
    138

    Yes magnets are not good for anything that has a storage device in it. And since this phone has that, then I would recommend that you never use any magnet around any electronic device it can cause a problem.
     
  4. blue frog

    blue frog Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    291
    Location:
    Colorado

    Strong Magnets--Big Trouble

    I recall watching a movie where a police officer wiped out a hard disk by placing a strong magnet next to it.

    You definitely do not want any magnet up against--or even in close proximity to your iPhone!
     
  5. jamesb

    jamesb Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2009
    Messages:
    118

    I do believe that I have seen this magnet warning in several documents when I bought new phones in the past. I believe that it can also severely damage your sim card and the memory of your phone.
     
  6. vlada

    vlada Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    Messages:
    10

    I consider also that it is the magnetic mount for a mobile phone in your car that has caused the problems with your phone. I never use such devices for my phones and it is a mistake to use them. And I do not understand why there is no information about the problems of using such devices for the phones.
     
  7. (v)atrex24

    (v)atrex24 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    Messages:
    8

    just putting a magnet next to a TV messes up the screen so, I for one would not be putting a magnet anywhere near my Iphone.
     
  8. calvindale

    calvindale Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    32

    Magnets will surely damage your phone not even phones but some electrical appliances too, so it's better to avoid placing your phone near magnets.
     
  9. alicelas

    alicelas Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2009
    Messages:
    10

    Putting magnets near electric components is always dodgy!

    Personally, I wouldn't put mine anywhere near to a magnet, just to be on the safe side, and I guess that was a good plan ^_^.
     
  10. edwashere

    edwashere New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    Messages:
    1

    Magnet got me too!

    My brand new iphone 3GS died while on vacation. It was getting down to 20% of battery. Suddenly I could not turn it on. It was dead.
    I got home and tried to get it to work and to charge. NOTHING.
    All night I tried to charge it. It was dead.

    I got in my car and used my DC Charger... Within minutes I got a faint screen. There was zero battery... It took all day to charge on my car charger. But finally it would turn on and it was working fine.

    I could not figure out how the battery had got so low and how it would not take a charge. I mean, I knew I was going to take it in to Apple and the Genius at the Bar would tell me it somehow got wet.... (which it didn't)..

    So I searched here to find out if anyone else had the problem. When I read the post about the magnetic car holder it dawned on me.

    I used to live in NYC and for years instead of a wallet I carry a money clip.
    It has a magnetic holder to hold the money. I have had problems with the magnetic strip on some of my credit cards getting wiped out from time to time because of my money clip. I THINK, I am not sure, but I think the money clip drained the battery somehow. I am not sure why it would not take an AC charge and only a DC charge -- And I am not sure why the battery drain would have happened in my pocket with my phone and not have shocked me or created some kind of heat or something that I would have felt... But it does appear that the battery drained completely and the only explanation would be the money clip.