Keep clear of Magnets

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by djtony, Oct 15, 2008.

1. djtony

djtony New Member

For years I've used a magnetic mount for a mobile phone in my car. Didn't think anything about it and put a mounting plate on the back of my i phone. Seemed ok for short while but it locked up. Wouldn't do anything- turn on, recognise the charger etc. Took the phone back and it was exchanged and it was suggested by the Apple Tech that I try again and see if that is the problem. Low and behold it happened again. However 12 hours later the second phone worked again but with a very low battery. It may be that the magnet drains the battery very quickly. Never had this problem with any other phone so do other phone manufacturers fit a magnetic shield to protect the solid state phone memory/battery. If that is the case then Apple haven't fully thought through the spec of the phone. Probably the case as there is no Multimedia MMS, Short video capture, Message forwarding & low resolution camera

This isn't a dig at Apple as i think the i phone is great and wouldn't be without it but there are a number of features that I have lost and would like to see them on the next generation

Tony

2. cobalt.rednitaj

cobalt.rednitaj Well-Known Member

man you are true to that! it is surely because of battery leakage..the magnetic holder for sure has a pretty strong magnetic field and so it could mess up working of the ferrous parts inside the phone.. so try avoiding it!

3. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

Yes magnets are not good for anything that has a storage device in it. And since this phone has that, then I would recommend that you never use any magnet around any electronic device it can cause a problem.

4. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Strong Magnets--Big Trouble

I recall watching a movie where a police officer wiped out a hard disk by placing a strong magnet next to it.

You definitely do not want any magnet up against--or even in close proximity to your iPhone!

5. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

I do believe that I have seen this magnet warning in several documents when I bought new phones in the past. I believe that it can also severely damage your sim card and the memory of your phone.

6. vlada

vlada Member

I consider also that it is the magnetic mount for a mobile phone in your car that has caused the problems with your phone. I never use such devices for my phones and it is a mistake to use them. And I do not understand why there is no information about the problems of using such devices for the phones.

7. (v)atrex24

(v)atrex24 Member

just putting a magnet next to a TV messes up the screen so, I for one would not be putting a magnet anywhere near my Iphone.

8. calvindale

calvindale Active Member

Magnets will surely damage your phone not even phones but some electrical appliances too, so it's better to avoid placing your phone near magnets.

9. alicelas

alicelas Member

Putting magnets near electric components is always dodgy!

Personally, I wouldn't put mine anywhere near to a magnet, just to be on the safe side, and I guess that was a good plan ^_^.

10. edwashere

edwashere New Member

Magnet got me too!

My brand new iphone 3GS died while on vacation. It was getting down to 20% of battery. Suddenly I could not turn it on. It was dead.
    I got home and tried to get it to work and to charge. NOTHING.
    All night I tried to charge it. It was dead.

I got in my car and used my DC Charger... Within minutes I got a faint screen. There was zero battery... It took all day to charge on my car charger. But finally it would turn on and it was working fine.

I could not figure out how the battery had got so low and how it would not take a charge. I mean, I knew I was going to take it in to Apple and the Genius at the Bar would tell me it somehow got wet.... (which it didn't)..

So I searched here to find out if anyone else had the problem. When I read the post about the magnetic car holder it dawned on me.

I used to live in NYC and for years instead of a wallet I carry a money clip.
    It has a magnetic holder to hold the money. I have had problems with the magnetic strip on some of my credit cards getting wiped out from time to time because of my money clip. I THINK, I am not sure, but I think the money clip drained the battery somehow. I am not sure why it would not take an AC charge and only a DC charge -- And I am not sure why the battery drain would have happened in my pocket with my phone and not have shocked me or created some kind of heat or something that I would have felt... But it does appear that the battery drained completely and the only explanation would be the money clip.