Iphone 2.0 unknown error (2005)= Brick... help..

Discussion in 'iPhone 2G' started by rocky73, Jul 12, 2008.

1. rocky73

rocky73 New Member

I woke up early this morning and sync'd my phone, I updated the software 2.o and now my phone is useless..

It does not boot ...

Itunes asks me to restore the iphone, when I restore the process errors out with an "Unknown error (2005)..?

I have been on hold for 30 min+ ...

Has anyone gotton through to apple support?

Any fixes?

What are the options from apple?

I get the feeling apple will tell me I have to upgrade to iphone 3g?

Any help would be appreciated, I will stay on hold and post my results..

2. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Set an Appointment at the Genius Bar

I'm sorry to learn that you and I are in the same boat.
    My iPhone was also bricked when I attempted to get the software upgrade. My iPhone, when I last attempted to reconnect to iTunes, apparently was not in a condition suitable for the upgrade; the onscreen message to me was that I should contact mt local Apple store.

I have set an appointment at the Genius Bar for my local Apple Store. There must be a lot of people ahead of me; my earliest appointment opportunity was for 7:50pm today--and I set that appointment yesterday early in the afternoon.

May I please suggest that you, also, set an appointment for the Genius Bar at your local Apple store?

I am hopeful that my iPhone will be fully functional once my appointment has taken place. Thank goodness, I was able to back up my contacts, shcedules, etc. prior to attempting to upgrade. My goose is cooked if that backup does not work. I had over 1,500 contacts in my iPhone. If I do get my iPhone back to where it is fully functional again, I intend to create a hard copy of all of my contact info. That is just too valuable to take a chance of something like this happening again.

3. rocky73

rocky73 New Member

Good News!

After 45 minutes on hold, and another 30 minutes with iphone support my brick is now a phone again.

The support agent had me reboot my mac, and move my usb connection from the spare on the keyboard to the back of my iMac...

I also used a different sync cable

Then tried the restore process again... it took all of 30 minutes, not counting the time to put my music and videos back on the phone... (Working on it now)

I would give this a try if I were you...

Thank goodness this phone is my lifeline... so far so good!

4. rocky73

rocky73 New Member

My contacts were all restored... like you I have quite a few...

5. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

Rocky73,

You got it done and I congratulate you. Hopefully, we will both be there soon.