Bricked iPhone = Genius Bar Appointment

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by blue frog, Jul 11, 2008.

1. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

I am a 2G 16GB iPhone customer. I thought that I was doing everything the "right" way. I never jailbroke my phone.

Before attempting to get the 2.0 and the App Store software installed onto my iPhone, I first upgraded the iTunes software to 7.7. Then, I attempted to get things done. That's when it all came tumbling down.

Yes, in hindsight, I can see that perhaps I ought to have waited until the initial onslaught of new customers had come and gone. But I did not do that. I went online during the apparent denial of service that iTunes experienced due to their servers being overwhelmed by customers in 21 countries simultaneously trying to activate their phones.

I went to the iTunes Help menu and saw that many, many people were going through exactly what I had experienced. Some eventually succeeded, others decided to wait it out and try again. I decided to try again , also.

When I tried to connect with my iPhone that was only fit for making emergency phone calls, iTunes sent me a message stating that they could not work with my phone in its current condition and that I ought to connect with my local Apple store.

Now, I have done so and I have set an appointment with the Genius Bar. Apparently a lot of others did so before me; the earliest appointment that I could get for Saturday, July 12th is at 7:50pm. Unitl the folks at the Genius Bar get my phone back to what it ought to be, I have a bricked phone.

No longer, will I look forward with anticipation to the announcement of new firmware by Apple for its iPhone.

2. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Unbricked iPhone

They managed to unbrick my iPhone at the Genius Bar in my local Apple Store. It took about 90 minutes, though.

The apparent underlying problem was that when Microsoft wrote their version of the 7.7 iTunes update, something went wrong. I had to first uninstall the iTunes software (which had been upgraded to version 7.7). Then, I had to freshly install the 7.7 iTunes software again. Once that had been done, my iPhone was recognized by iTunes and I was able to proceed with all of the 2.0 software update, App Store installation, etc. that was necessary to get my iPhone fully functional again.

So, in hindsight, doing the iTunes update to a previously installed version of iTunes got something messed up on my PC. (I learned my current business on a PC, although I use an iMac at home.)

I expressed frustration at having to deal with the "world of Windows" and voiced that I would really prefer to be on a mac laptop anyway. The lady who was working with me asked for a Shopping Card and continued helping me. Later, someone handed her a Shopping Card and she told me that I could use the website on it
    www.apple.com/retail/personalshopping
    to set a no-cost one hour appointment (one on one) with an Apple Store representative who would give me a one hour tour of the store and tell me about all of the products (features & benefits) as well as the services that they provide for customers. She also shared with me that if I buy a laptop from them and request it within the first week, they will transfer 100% of my files from the PC to the new Apple laptop--for FREE. I was pleasantly surprised by that little tidbit. I discussed this with my wife and I think it is not going to be very long before I take full advantage of the Shopping Card and ultimately replace the PC with an Apple laptop.

One of the key criteria that I prefer to use, when purchasing a new computer, is that I want the storage capacity to be about triple what I am replacing (currently 80 GB). I do a lot of scanning of documents (pdf format) and I anticipate only expanding that activity as I move forward. It has been a very worthwhile part of what I do.

I've already download a few of the free applications from the Ap Store. I'm looking forward to more good stuff coming to the App Store.