iCall Sounds Promising

Discussion in 'Wireless Carriers & Plans' started by blue frog, Jul 4, 2008.

1. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Earlier, I had asked if anyone had a viable workaround for my dilemma.
    Here is the problematic scenario: I work out in the boonies, usually out of state, where AT&T (my iPhone service provider) service is not available. I became aware that there was a problem when AT&T called me and said that if I did not drastically reduce my "out of network" calls that my service would be disconnected. I complied and virtually eliminated my out of network calls. My ugly work around has been to buy a pre-paid cell phone in the area I am working in and just throw it away when my project is completed.

I kept thinking that there had to be (especially with the wi-fi internet capabilities of the iPhone) a better way. I have just come across an application that is being ported (said to be working now) to the iPhone which is called iCall. As long as you have access to wif-fi, you can make unlimited domestic (USA) phone calls for free. There appears to be two levels for the iCall service. If I have read their info correctly, the lower level is free. They hope that their customers will buy from the advertisers on their directory and that some may buy a headset from them.

The second level is for iCall Pro. I t is currently priced at $4.95 per month. They bill for 3 months at a time, so your first billing for the iCall Pro would be $15.00.

The free level of iCall displays "pool" numbers from iCall when you are making a call to someone. The iCall Pro, however, will display your own personal phone number when you make a call; I like that feature.

If anyone has had experience with iCall, I would very much like to hear about it.

2. Judgej

Judgej New Member

I've registered with iCall for updates on their wifi service.
    Like you I cannot receive an O2 signal where I live in the Uk so would be glad of a service so I can at last use my iPhone to its full capacity.

3. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Hurray! A Like-minded iPhone Enthusiast!

Although, I have read reviews about other Skype-oriented services, I am really anticipating that iCall will be exactly what I have been waiting for to do just what you said--be able to use the full capabilities of the iPhone outside of a major metropolitan area.

Come on iCall!!! Please get beyond your Beta stage. We are hungry for you to finally get your application onto the App Store!!