Mophie Battery Pack--My Favorite Accessory

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by blue frog, Jun 28, 2008.

1. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

I've seen the many posts of iPhone users lamenting the limited battery life. I guess whatever the battery life is, I would still be asking for more.

Anyway, my wife saw the Mophie Battery Pack on Fox News and she got it for me for Father's Day. I've got a 16GB iPhone and I use it heavily. My useable time for my iPhone has, at a minimum, doubled.

I have no idea whether the Mophie folks have a battery pack that will benefit the buyers of the new 3G iPhone.

Has anyone else had experience with this device?

It's NOT cheap but it may be worth checking out if you're running out of juice faster than your comfort level about your iPhone battery.

2. bangarunaidu

bangarunaidu Well-Known Member

Are you talking about a battery back up.

3. blue frog

A few details about the Mophie Juice Pack

In my first entry, I mistakenly called this a battery pack when Mophie refers to it as their Juice Pack.
    This is what I would call a battery extender. The Mophie Juice Pack uses the same cable that you attach the 2G iPhone to when you are charging it. However, the Mophie Juice Pack does not fit into the Apple dock for the iPhone; it just needs the cable attached to the plug to be charged.

You need to understand that your iPhone slides into a connector at the base for the iPhone to mate with it. You still have full access to virtually all of your controls for the iPhone. There is even a cut-out for the lens of the camera on the iPhone. The MJP is not exactly light but I do not find it to be a heavy burden either--especially when you consider that you will be enjoying at least TWICE the operating time that you are accustomed to having without the MJP.

So, your iPhone is mated and a part of the MJP while you are using it. The MJP actually seems to add a bit of protection as it nests the iPhone.

The MJP is designed to deplete itself before any of the battery charge on your iPhone is used up. There is even a button on the back of the MJP that you can press to see how much charge remains in the MJP. That indicator consists of 4 LEDs. When you press the button, you'll see that the number of lights indicates how much charge remains in the MJP.

Here is how I use mine: I usually deplete the charge on my Mophie Juice Pack (MJP) first. Then I charge the MJP, after unmating it from the iPhone. At this point, my iPhone will have a high level of charge for its battery.

After charging the MJP, I set it aside until my iPhone needs to be recharged. When the iPhone needs recharging, I go though the usual process of charging it up. Then, before remating the MJP to the iPhone, I top off the charge in the MJP (it will lose a little while sitting idle).

Once the MJP is fully charged (all four LEDs are lit), I remate the MJP to my iPhone and I am good for at least double the battery life of an iPhone which does not get mated to an MJP.

We all know that the batteries for the iPhone have a designed limit of how many charge cycle they can go through before they need to be replaced. Think about this: If you double the length of time between each time you re-charge it, you are effectively doubling the usable life of your iPhone battery. I seriously believe that I am actually being conservative when I mention that the MJP doubles your usable time on your iPhone. Depending on how others use their phone, you might actually do better than the doubling that I claim.

If you are the type of person who is reluctant to try a new product or accessory, please assess how much you really need the extended time that you would get with the MJP with what you are experiencing right now. I do not work for the Mophie folks and I do not benefit from anyone buying this product.

The only negative "review" or comments that I noticed when I was checking it out and deciding whether to buy it or not is that if you put it through some hard usem you may see some cosmetic deterioration in the appearance of the MJP.

Also, at the time I purchased my MJP, Mophie did not offer any kind of carrier case for it along with the iPhone. I thought that was odd but I was able to deal with it. I simply went to a local mall and spoke with a vendor of cell phone cases. He asked me to show him how large the mated entity is--then he plucked out a case that fit it very well.

When charging the MJP, you have to "turn it over" (facing the LED indicator lights on the top) in order to charge it. That was the only real eccentricity about it that I have noticed.

My experience with the Mophie Juice Pack has been highly positive. If you end up getting one, please let me know how you like it.

4. bangarunaidu

bangarunaidu Well-Known Member

Thanks for your info, I dont think I can buy it bcoz I am in India.

5. blue frog

Followup About Mophie Juice Pack

I was listening to one of the iPhone podcasts (they are FREE!) and a "panel" of iPhone commentators (mostly fellow iPhone podcasters) were discussing the Mophie Juice Pack. One of the panelists was just as enthusiastic as I am about how it is so good at what it does.

However, please be aware of the following, shared by those panelists:

1. If you put a "skin" or protective coat or jacket of some kind on your iPhone, it probably will not fit into the Mophie Juice Pack. If you only put a protective skin on your screen, you are probably OK about using the Mophie Juice Pack. But if you have a semi-permanent kind of bonding skin for your iPhone, do not expect it to fit into the Mophie Juice Pack.

2. Sadly, Mophie has not yet developed a similar product that works for the 3G iPhone. Keep checking the Mophie website--and send them some emails letting them know how interested you are in having one of their solutions for your 3G iPhone.

6. mp3mp

mp3mp New Member

thanks for tips