Is iPhone a Newton Successor

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by apple, Feb 5, 2007.

1. apple

apple Well-Known Member

Glasgow, Scotland, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Mi

Ever since the Apple Newton PDA (and by the way, Apple made up that term) went out of production in 1997, due to poor sales, the Apple fans who embraced the truly wonderful machine with technology that was almost a decade ahead of it's time, use to wave their Newtons in protest at every Macworld.

This was as if to remind Steve Jobs that he had to bring back the line somehow.

I was wondering how many of you think that the iPhone is the successor to the Newton of yesteryear.

Newton

2. iUser

iUser Well-Known Member

I'm honestly surprised you didn't bash Donna Dubinsky in your thread.

Also, I hope it isn't, as history tends to repeat itself... actually, I take that back. History doesn't repeat itself, it rhymes with itself. Also, the iPhone isn't really a PDA. To be a PDA's successor, it would probably help to 1. be a pda and 2. have more/better options.

3. Evan

Evan New Member

I hope it doesn't go the way of the Newton either. Based on what I've discovered checking out the calling plans at ATT, this phone is going to be a very expensive proposition as every little added service at ATT is a la carte. Maybe they'll come up with a package plan that's exclusive to the iPhone. I hope Apple negotiated something like that.

4. jgrant

jgrant Active Member

It better not go the way of the Newton. I know it is going to be expensive, but I really hope it get's good sales. I will not buy it for awhile, but I do plan on getting it, and i hope it doesn't leave the shelfs.

5. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

i didnt even hear of this newton thingy! i am living in europe and travel to the middle east frequently on business..

i have not lived in US, thats why i never heard of this newton..was it ever a hit?

6. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

I think that in order to compete with other phones that will be popping up eventually, they have to keep it very reasonably priced or run the risk of losing buyers to other phone makers.

7. jgrant

jgrant Active Member

Where I live the Newton was one of those things that everyone wanted and said they where getting, but no one actually bothered to pay for one.

With what attagirl said, I disagree. I think it is gonna cost WAY more than it should cost us.

8. ScottHughes

ScottHughes Well-Known Member

I haven't really heard about the Newton much before. If it wasn't something that people said they would get but didn't, then I worry it might be the same as the iPhone. Even though lots of people express interest in buying the iPhone, I don't know if they will, because it is so expensive.

9. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Newton and iPhone photo:

[​IMG]