My Iphone does not ring anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by steijntr, Apr 8, 2008.

1. steijntr

steijntr New Member

My I phone stopped ringing! Yes the mute-switch is not turned on, I checked that already. I can hear it only ringing when I plug the earphones in. Please help, my phone is brand new version 1.4 and is still original.

2. steijntr

steijntr New Member

I also just noted that the MUTE SWITCH is inverted. When it is on the red-dot position it shows a BELL and when I put the switch in the normal position it shows a CROSSED BELL on the LCD screen..

3. smokeytl

smokeytl Well-Known Member

this may sound weird, but is definitely worth a try, clean out the hole where your earphones goes in. to do that, use the end of your ear phones and kind of pick at it or try the air cleaners. does vibration work?

4. steijntr

steijntr New Member

Hello Smokeytl. Your idea is certainly not weird, as it seems that the iPhone thinks there is still an external earphone connected (I lend my phone to someone who maybe tried to force a non-apple earphone plug into it and deregulated the sensor). I tried once already with one of those cotton ear-stick but that did not work. I could try a hairpin but have no clue where I should aim at. I realize that comparing an Apple earplug format to a standard one that there is a fourth ring. I suppose that this has something to do with seeing whether there is a earphone plug init or not, perhaps I should look with a magnifying glass into the hole and see is something is forced.

5. steijntr

steijntr New Member

Forgot to answer your question. Yes the VIBRATION works, and so are the speakers. What I find odd is that the position on the LCD screen when you toggle with the switch on the upper left hand is INVERTED. It shows mute when the phone in NOT in the postion of the red-dot and vice-versa

6. smokeytl

smokeytl Well-Known Member

no idea whats going on with the inverted sound switch on the side of the phone. looks like u got lucky, and you may have a chance to get a new one.

and to the ring problem, can you even hear and talk without the earphones?? when i had this similar problem i could not hear or speak unless i had my ear phones on. anyway you should just clean out the earphone plug with the end of your ear phones. this is a very common problem with the iphone.

if i were you id just go to an apple store and get it replaced, and just say your inverted sound switch is opposite from what it should be.

good luck!

7. Privento

Privento New Member

Hello people,

The iPhone's (the same iPhone as where steijntr is talking about) silent switch is broken, so it stays in silent mode. So I have to send it to Apple. But, I don't have the receipt. There'll ship 5 iPhones here soon, can I use that receipt for my warranty, or do they check serial numbers?

Greetings.

8. Neo

Neo Well-Known Member

i installed the latest update and the hole phone is messed up now. crashes once or twice a day. will not sync. pics show up as empty white boxes. what should i do?

9. dy_xfactor

dy_xfactor Member

I was having the same problem. I had to put the head phones in and slowly pull it out so that the phone recognized that the device was unplugged.

10. bangarunaidu

bangarunaidu Well-Known Member

I guess you need to clean inside the iphone headset conncter, so that your problem will resolve.