Unlocking the iPhone for Tmobile

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by buymeaniphone, Feb 1, 2007.

1. buymeaniphone

buymeaniphone Member

What do you think the odds are that someone will be able to figure out how to unlock the iPhone to use with Tmobile and other GSM carriers?

omar

julies likes this.
  2. apple

apple Well-Known Member

Glasgow, Scotland, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Mi

Very likely, the iPhone can connect to your computer, and as long as it does that someone WILL indeed get into it somehow. And the hackers will love this little toy, it has a lot of functionality to play with.

3. iUser

iUser Well-Known Member

No, not really. First, Cingular will own rights on this product. If any other company provides service to a Cingular-exclusive phone, the company will be sued, and it will be for a lot.

4. apple

apple Well-Known Member

We aren't talking about other companies providing the service, we are talking about buying a sim card, sticking it in, and finding a way for the iPhone to say that's fine and allow things to happen with it.

Problem is, the features will be all messed up, wanting Cingular stuff from their sims.

5. iUser

iUser Well-Known Member

My bad, I could have sworn the thread title was "Unlocking the iPhone for Tmobile".

6. orange_street

orange_street Active Member

but... a tmobile sim cant probably work in a cingular exclusive mobile phone.
    and as already mentioned by someone.. the company will be sued if that is done.

7. buymeaniphone

buymeaniphone Member

I have a treo 650 that is for Cingular, but I got it unlocked and use my Tmobile sim card in it. It works fine, actually I get free email and internet access since its not a Tmobile controlled phone.

8. iUser

iUser Well-Known Member

Ah, nice. Maybe I will be wrong, however, with a company like Apple I am sure they will find any major or minor loophole in the system and prevent it from happening.

By the way; I donated to your cause.

9. buymeaniphone

buymeaniphone Member

Yeah your probably right about Apple trying their best to block it. Oh Sweet! thanks for donation iUser, your the second one so far.:D

10. apple

apple Well-Known Member

iUser, please listen to what I'm saying. I'm talking about sticking a Tmobile sim card in an iPhone and getting it to run.

Your thinking of Tmobile actually selling the iPhone under their name etc., in which case, yeah, they'd get sued badly.