What's available on a LOCKED and UNACTIVATED iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by kerunt, Nov 26, 2007.

1. kerunt

kerunt New Member

Hi everyone,

I got a few questions:

Let's say I have a brand new, AT&T locked iPhone (1.02 or 1.1.1). If I don't activate it, what can I do with it without voiding the warranty?

Can I use the MP3 player / organizer / wifi?

---

Basically, my iPhone does not charge/connect to comp (tried everything), and it has recently ran out of battery life, so it can't even be turned on. The idea is to take it to an Apple store and claim that I've been using it as an MP3 player only, thus the reason for it never been activated. (In reality it's been unlocked, and I can't restore to original firmware... I hope that since they can't turn it on, and it won't connect to any computers with any cables, they'll have no choice but to replace it.)

What are the flaws with this story?

2. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

I don't believe you can do anything with it without activation. Or at least that was the situation back in June.

However,let's assume you actually do get them to swap it; the flaw is you are assuming that Apple does not have a way to power it up and put it through it's paces; maybe not at the store, but when they try to wipe it to sell it as a refurb, they'll undoubtedly find the hack. Then, you'll be caught in your lie; then maybe they'll come after you.

So, I say do it; be sure to let us know how it all pans out.

-a