iphone 3G sim card

Discussion in 'iPhone 3G' started by Dennis, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Hello! I am brand new to Apple. I just bought a good used iphone 3G with no sim card. I wish to use the device for wi-fi connection only at this time (no cell right now). But I think it won't work without a sim. Right? If it needs a sim, can i get one cheap online?

2. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Well-Known Member

You could, but why not just get an ipod touch? That way nothing down the road can be bumpy. Im guessing thought you could put a prepaid sim in there, 3GS only

3. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Good thought, and we have looked into the iPod touch. However, it will not allow a headphone/microphone combo for hands-free (as in the kitchen) VOip talking. Secondly, some time down the road we will be adding a cell carrier for talking, just not right now. We can't afford cell right now. Wi-fi only is fine for now. So that's why the iPhone. where can i get a cheap sim? Thanks!

4. Iloveiphones

To warn you, this really isn't my area of helping. But I think you can buy one off eBay, then go to walmart and get a pay as you go or prepaid SIM. but it has to be a 3GS, becuase the iPhone 4 uses a microSIM.

The iPod touch does have microphone capabilities, and speaker. And it does allow a headphone with a microphone in it if that's what you mean.

5. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Thanks! I ordered a sim card for iPhone 3G online. Will the iPhone still be able to connect to Wi-Fi even AFTER i cancel the carrier?

6. Iloveiphones

You should. If I pop my AT&T sim out I can still get wifi

7. dawn young

dawn young New Member

I dropped my i phone is water, now what?

8. JimBrown

JimBrown Member

We all know that iPhone cannot function even as an iPod without being activated with a rate plan first.

We also know that the ATT sim card can be used in a different unlocked phone.

So my questions are:

Let's say a year from now, I bought a new phone from ATT, I put my sim card into the new one, can my iPhone still work as an iPod?

Let's say I travel to a different country and put my ATT sim card in a different phone (doable if the said phone is unlocked), can my iPhone still function as video iPod?

I have to assume yes, since otherwise we are stuck with a product that become useless and worthless once we upgrade to a new phone.

Usually with cell phones, once you remove the sim card as you upgrade to a new phone, it just cease to function or even completely locked up.

With iPhone though, since there is the video ipod feature, which is absolutely important, perhaps more so than the phone for some people, I wonder if we can still use the iPod function.

All my questions are based on the assumption that the phone had in the beginning been activated with an ATT plan.