updated my unlocked iphone!! am i really screwed?

Discussion in 'iPhone 2G' started by zaeboeski, Oct 1, 2007.

1. zaeboeski

zaeboeski New Member

i have an unlocked iphone. i didn't unlock the sim, jus jail broke it so i could put games and stuff on there. my you tube wasn't working so i did the itunes update and BAM !!! my i phone is cooked. rendered usless. there's gotta be someone out there who's had this same problem by now and fixed it. i'm just trying to find out how to fix it before i start using my phone as a chew toy for my dog. someone help!!!

2. dmac925

dmac925 New Member

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's real simple! First since you already have firmware 1.1.1 on your iphone, this is what you need to do. You need to run itunes again and restore the phone...yes, restore again! 3 times! each and every time you get a full restore, you will get an invalid sim card error. this is normal. You need to restore the firmware about 3 times to make sure that no trace of the hack is evident on the phone. Then call the Apple support line. Let them know that the phone showed sim card error when you upgraded to 1.1.1 just make sure that the IMEI number is the same as it is etched on the back of your iphone. IMEI # can be found by pressing the "i" icon on the screen when you see the sim card error message on the screen. A lot of iphones out of the box have been getting sim card errors anyways without them being hacked and Apple has admitted bugs in the new firmware 1.1.1 which causes the older/original iphone released or any iphones that has not been upgraded to 1.0.2. to deny activation using the original sim which came with iphones during its first day of release. Apple will not have any clue which phones have been unlocked once you have restored the firmware to 1.1.1 thats the reason why you need to restore three times. When you call Apple just deny all knowledge of the iphone being previously unlocked. pretend that your computer knowledge extends only as far as clicking the mouse and that's it. The only thing that Apple tech support will do is to verify that the unit has the same IMEI displayed on the screen and matches the IMEI etched on the back of the phone. When phones are hacked, the baseband frequency changes the IMEI of the unit once it registers with the network if the baseband frequency and firmware does not correspond to each other. For example, when you downgrade the OS firmware back to 1.0.2. The downgrade works but the baseband firmware remains at 1.1.1. if your OS firmware is at 1.1.1 so will the firmware of the baseband. This is how the phone should be sent back to Apple so that they can reflash your phone with their own software to reinstate your phone to the original state however, it will be returned to you with 1.1.1.1 firmware loaded onto it and you will not be able to unlock the phone again until the hackers at Dev team gets a new reversed engineering to downgrade the basband firmware. That's the only way you'll get your phone working again. Apple needs to do a reflash of all software. Since the software for the baseband is not attached to the iTunes update server, it does not upgrade or downgrade when you update through iphones. The complete reflashing software which inlcludes the corresponding firmware for the baseband and OS system is at the Apple service center. They will reflash your phone under warranty if you deny all knowledge of your phone being hacked. They will even send you the return box via FED-EX and all you do is send you phone back using the same box sent to you via fed-ex. The return is done through standard overnight delivery which means when you send your iphone back to Apple, they will receive it the very next day before 3pm. It will take only 2-3 days for Apple to return your phone back to your with 1.1.1.1 software loaded with a new sim card ready for you to re-activate with your own account. Then you'll have a brand new iphone back in your hands...goodluck!

3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Wasn't the codename for this update something like "Bricker", like, the actual official Apple codename lol. Talk about nasty.