Should Apple's iPhone Be An Open Platform?

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by iphonetags, Jan 18, 2007.

1. iphonetags

iphonetags New Member

In a Newsweek interview with Steven Levy, Apple (AAPL) CEO Steve Jobs said:

"You don’t want your phone to be an open platform. You need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn’t want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up."

Do you think Jobs closed-box approach to iPhone is the right one?

2. iUser

iUser Well-Known Member

Personally, yes I do. It sucks that it won't be open in some ways, but in the end I don't really mind. I have faith that Jobs and the rest of Apple Inc. will give us everything we need.

3. Dr.Ead

Dr.Ead Well-Known Member

me too, so far so good. they never screwed up with the macintosh, did they?

4. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

I hope Apple will open iPhone API for third-party developers. That would create a huge market for software developers and bring tons of cool iPhone software.

5. iUser

iUser Well-Known Member

If they do that they will lose massive amounts of money themselves, though. Why let other companies make millions on third-party software when you can host a forum, or browse other forums, for things that people want and then create them yourselves?

6. Dr.Ead

Dr.Ead Well-Known Member

if they don't open up the market and iphones get popular enough, people will hack it anyway. so why not get into the act as a pre-emptive strike. start licensing software deals with other corporations to dominate the iphone software market and stifle competition, making the market easy to control, just like microsoft did with the windows api. anyone in the right mind would simply resort to that.

7. apple

apple Well-Known Member

Glasgow, Scotland, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Mi

I think somehow the hackers will get into it though, if it connects to your computer, someone WILL get in.

8. iUser

iUser Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean they will be able to decrypt the programs to be able write anything that is compatible with it.

9. apple

apple Well-Known Member

Glasgow, Scotland, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Mi

Again, iPod Linux. Look it up.

10. Dr.Ead

Dr.Ead Well-Known Member

they dont have to write something from scratched. they can simply modify existing code