Jobs promised 3G iPhone for 2008

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by Alex, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Begs for the question, why buy an iPhone right now...

Really annoys me this, so anyone that wanted an iPhone will hold out for this 3G one.

3. drakedane

drakedane Member

3G iPhone

What does "3G" mean??? I assume "3 gigabytes"; but this hardly makes sense. Why would anyone need or want only 3 GB for an iPhone, especially when there are larger sizes available?? Clearly, almost everyone I know is demanding and purchasing the 8GB model. Also, I would expect new releases to be larger, not smaller in storage space.

Please, clarify: What does "3G" mean, in this context? Does this possibly refer to the other, better ATT network?

4. drakedane

drakedane Member

Follow-up

Looking at certain info from both of the posts to which I am responding, I am wondering if maybe the iPhones outside of the US are DIFFERENT from US versions. Is this possible??? From what I understand - and I just purchased 2 iPhones last week in US - they come with either 4G or 8G of storage space.

5. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

3G iPhone is not an iPhone with 3 gigs of flash memory.

From 3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I know I shouldn't laugh, but I did, hard.

7. smokeytl

smokeytl Well-Known Member

lol, 3g is great and all, but almost everywhere has wifi. Unless your driving u shouldn't be looking at your phone anyway.

8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Actually, here it's a bit different. You only really get Wi-Fi inner city, and most times its places that are locked or take you to some membership Wi-Fi access page.

9. alkoller

alkoller Member

You're right Ryan. I just returned from my first international travel and used the iPhone throughout the UK without issue. There are four national providers in the UK (O2, Orange, Vodafone, and T-Mobile), and I soon discovered the phone was able to detect the best network without my help, so I let it.

I think I paid big time roaming charges and data was expensive, so I probably ended up costing myself $20+ per DAY (I wouldn't do it again, but who knew???). I was able to get WIFI several times, and using Google Map I could type in commands like "wifi edinburgh" and get a map with pins showing every WIFI in the area. As far as I could tell, all the functions worked just like they do here, but it was expensive...

The biggest disappointment I found was that even when I got WIFI (which was pretty often), I couldn't get email, etc. It seems the setup has to be just right or WIFI on my set doesn't give me the functionality just plain cell phone hookups do. I could ALWAYS send and receive using the cell phone function -- email, texting, etc. -- but the system would just sit there in search mode and do NOTHING even when WIFI indicated it was active and with a strong signal. Any idea why?

If anyone wants to know more about the international stuff, I'm not an expert, but I do have some current experience I can share. I visited an Apple Store iin Chester, England, right in the center of that medieval town, and they had everything except the iPhone (Airport Extreme, iPods, etc.). They were eager to see mine and knew about the upcoming release in the UK, so I guess the international market is about to open up big time. Fun!!!

10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know about your experience with the iPhone in the UK mate. I wonder if you could tell me if the thing works on a pay as you go card. I mean, it may sound silly because you'd need some form of plan with a data allowance to get all the features working I guess, I'm not really sure.