No names on incoming call

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by ArmandK, Sep 19, 2007.

1. ArmandK

ArmandK Member

Hi guys, any idea why my iPhone only shows me a number on an incoming call?
    I am so used to see the name and decide to pick up or not.

2. dy_xfactor

dy_xfactor Member

make sure you assign the number to a name so that the caller id will show up

3. ArmandK

ArmandK Member

? My whole adressbook is full of names with the numbers. I have tried from my missus mobile as well as our home number (both of them are in my contact list), but only the number shows up.

4. ArmandK

ArmandK Member

I even added them to the favourite list and the hope it will show them, but no luck there either ;O(

5. ArmandK

ArmandK Member

ok, here we go - thats what I just figured out!

If you have several numbers in the contact list under one name, it wont show the name.
    If you have the country code in front of it, it wont show the name.
    If you have just one number with the area code, it will show the name.

Strange ...... and not good

6. phantomssv

phantomssv New Member

make sure that the number that comes up when someone is calling is the same as what you have saved for that person name.....
    EG : if it comes up with +61 400 000 000 and you have saved 0400 000 000 on that person contact it will not work!

7. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

Not strange at all; why should a computer assume that two different numbers are the same number? 503-225-5555 is not the same as 225-5555...

-a

8. ArmandK

ArmandK Member

anomalight, you are right.
    But if you got some numbers with country codes, what do you do then?
    Aplle isnt very easy with quickly ad the number when you wanna dial it!
    Its more a delete the whole number and then retype the whole lot including the country code. After you made your call, delete the country code again to see the name if this number is calling you .

Very convinient .... yeah right ;O)

9. phantomssv

phantomssv New Member

Just because it has the country code on it doesn't mean that you will be paying international rates!

You can also put two numbers under one persons name .... one with the international code and one without..... and then it doesnt matter which one comes into your phone as both will be recognised as one person (NOTE this is different to having two separate names for one number)

EG :
    when i get calls i get the : 503-225-5555
    but when i get a message i get : 225-5555

I have both on the same persons contact details and they both come up with the name when someone calls and messages!

The phone should recognise the similarity but as it doesn't this should fix the issue.

There is no need to delete any numbers at any time.... just need to go through your phone contacts and add an extra number so that each contact has two numbers (with and without international codes)

10. cobalt.rednitaj

cobalt.rednitaj Well-Known Member

man wat if u have different category nos. for a same name.. like a cell phone no. and a home phone for a same name... wudnt dat suck in dis case