$3000 International Data Roaming Bill

Discussion in 'Wireless Carriers & Plans' started by attsucks, Aug 13, 2007.

1. attsucks

attsucks New Member

I'm sure you guys are all Einsteins out there and would never make this mistake. I will open up myself to all of the wise ass comments about how stupid I am. But just to try to prevent someone else from making the same mistake I made, please read this if you are considering buying an iphone or planning on taking your iphone outside the US.

ATT, being the fine example of Corporate America that it is, really wants to take as much money as possible from you. No surprise there huh? Well the surprise might be what they consider to be reasonable for their international data roaming charge. My family returned from a vacation in Canada a few weeks ago to receive a $3000 bill from ATT for international roaming charges. My wife works a LOT and being on vacation doesn't put much of a dent in her work schedule. She wanted to connect to her VPN, and I thought I would use the phone's GPRS to connect her laptop to the network. Well 200 MB later at over $15 per MB meant a whole lot of money to ATT shareholders. Don't you love America!

2. descorpio

descorpio Well-Known Member

I never thought using mobile phone in United States of America is such a costly affair, in our country the rates are less than anywhere in the world. My sympathy with you.

3. daryljames

daryljames Member

Ouch. It's not like Canada is a 3rd world country with limited technology capability. So sorry to hear about your experience. I used to drive to Toronto for work and Rogers used to hit me every time just as I reached Niagara Falls.

Daryl James
    blackiphoneaccessories.com

4. techgirlable

techgirlable Member

That sucks, im sorry! If customer service isnt helping you out you should take to facebook. The community manager might help cut you a deal for the good PR it would create. Its pretty ridiculous that you were charged that much. It seems like they should by law have to send a push notification to your phone showing what the cost will be when you are roaming. I am always paranoid because of stories like this and turn my phone off unless I absolutely need it while traveling.

HTH!