I didn't know this

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by sunshine, Jul 20, 2007.

1. sunshine

sunshine Member

After activation, a SIM card is not needed for non-phone related functionality.

I would have thought that the SIM would have to be in place all the time

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Nope, well. For most phone it won't let you start it up without a SIM, so that is quite cool.

Why that would bother you in the first place is beyond me.

3. Neo

Neo Well-Known Member

so why wouldn't the functions work before it was activated. i had to wait 3 days for my iphone to activate. it would have been nice to use the camera or calander. maybe sync some music on it.

4. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Hmm, I have been reading of that whole activation disaster. Apple has done a usual and made out how simple something is, and it ends up a nightmare.

5. salb80

salb80 Member

I think the main reason why the phone has to be activated before using it is because ATT needed assurance that they would see profit in these phones in the way of service contracts. ATT does not have leverage when it comes to this phone. Its not priced down, so they cannot pull the 'get a rebate if you buy a phone and activate it for two years' crap. If the phone would have been unlocked from the time of purchase people would not have been forced to sign the 2yr contract to use the phone. Customers buying the phone could have used all of the features except the phone

6. Neo

Neo Well-Known Member

VERY CLEVER, i never thought of it that way. i like ur style