Pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by sunshine, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sunshine

sunshine Member

I still think the price is to high for the iPhone and reckon Apple will have to drop the prices soon to keep thier market share - What do you think? :(

2. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

I think that, if you were to buy any un-subsidized smartphone/pocket PC at full retail price, the iPhone is comparably priced.

-a

3. Hazel

Hazel Well-Known Member

It doesn't. It is double the price of a Palm Treo.

4. anomalight

Apparently you and I have differing opinions on "comparable" and "un-subsidized".

Amazon's list pricing on the following:
    Treo 680, $399
    Treo 700, $649
    Treo 750, $899

I'm failing to see your argument.

-a

5. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

HAHA, owned. Anyway, yeah, the iPhone is not over-priced, but it is still expensive for a phone.

Apple has done the usual, and made something that is so cool that no one even cares how much it is (well exageration), they just want the thing.

6. Hazel

Hazel Well-Known Member

You've proven my point, you can get a Palm Treo for $399 at the list price. Amazon were actually selling them for even less.

Plus: Compare what they're offering. Palm comes with more features, and is cheaper. Can be bought almost for free if signed up with a contract

Iphone, on the other hand, has less features without the capability of installing further apps, is more expensive. Is forcibly locked into a contract, without even getting discounts to compensate for the contract!

7. anomalight

Among your points, you said it's "double the price": $399 is not half of $499 OR $599. And, again, I'm talking about unsubsidized equipment, you are not.

On the 680, you don't get a camera or wifi, no video playback; iPhone battery life is better too: talk time is 8 hrs vs 2.5, standby is 250 hrs vs 60.

8. Hazel

Hazel Well-Known Member

Ok, so it's slightly less than double the price. Still the fact that you can get subsidized Treos is an advantage.

Camera, fair enough. I didn't notice that it didn't have one, the more expensive models do. Wifi, it's a smartphone. If you are in range of a wifi network then you are probably also close enough to a computer to use that instead. Don't quote me on this, but I believe it probably also includes a faster data connection.

Have you checked for third party apps that allow video playback? It almost certainly does support it, as the non-phone TX does. That's one of the best things about them, they allow you to install extra software.

Where are you getting the battery life figures from? I haven't seen any such comparisons yet.

9. anomalight

Treo: about half way down the page
    iPhone: bottom right-hand side of specs.

Both use the AT&T Edge network; personally, I use the wifi in mine at coffee shops, at work, and at friends' homes.

And, I was doing a straight apples-to-apples out-of-the-box comparison of the units; the Treo is definitely more expandable than the iPhone, absolutely.

-a

10. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Nice little arguement going on here, but the iPhone is looking the winner.