My Rant

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by jgrant, Jul 18, 2007.

1. jgrant

jgrant Active Member

Okay, I think the Iphone has come out, and I will be the first to rant about it :D I want an Iphone, but I am always one to post my negative oppinion before the positive, so here it is;

Okay, for one, the battery life will have problems. If people know anything about wi-fi, they should know that it is a power killer. Apple is releasing it with most of the functions turned on, including wi-fi, so it will eat up battery fast. According to Apple, you should expect eight hours of talk time, 250 hours of standby time, six hours of internet use, seven hours of video playback and 24 hours of audio playback, but with the wi-fi turned on, that could LITERALLY be cut in half!
    Also, the battery charges up to about 85% really fast, but to get to 100%, it takes A LONG time, as in ONE to TWO days! I mean, sure, 85% in an hour is good, but if you are going on a long trip you are going to want 100%!

Okay, the second problem I see;
    The touch screen sounds great and stuff, but could it help DESTROY your phone? The touch screen will get all greasy with fingerprints, so you will wash it. Does it come with a cleaner? If not, then you will probably eventually resort to water or windex. Now, what will happen if it gets under the screen? Your Iphone will break! It should at least come with a stylus!

Third, this time about them disabling third-party software:
    I will blow a gazillion dollars on this thing; I am going to want to go and download stuff like crazy for it! Why would they take that away? :confused: Who knows.

Okay, that is my rant. Again, I love the Iphone, I am not a hater, but if I blow a gillian dollars on it, it better live up to expectations!

2. scottsdomain

scottsdomain Member

Okay my opinion:

1) Battery life... I am a heavy user 1 day and I am in the red, but it usually lasts, or a little help in between. I just charge it at night, and sometimes when close to a computer. (Today's usage 8 and 1/2 hours, required a little help)
    - I have blue tooth enabled all day
    - I try to remember to turn off wireless
    - I would like to see profiles on the iphone for these things, but...

2) It has optical glass, you can easily wipe it off. I doubt you would use water, that would just be wrong!

3)I had a palm, and yes I LOVED downloading the third party apps. It is a double edged sword though, they can cause problems. My palm was worse on battery
    4)es then the iphone. One thing I displiked about the palm is that it never worked well all the time. It would require a reboot for example every time I wanted to use the web, that annoyed me more then anything. I think it had to do with one of the third party apps I had loaded, and it was up to me to figure out which one (which I never did).

The iphone does have its short commings (no clipboard, todo, etc) don't get me wrong, but overall I am much happier with it! The screen, the web interface, and the phone is pretty good too!

I do get mildly annoyed when I have to pull out a pen and paper to copy something from the web to an email, but I pray to Jobs to fix it in the next release!

My opinion at this time anyway! :)

3. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

They conducted their tests with the Wi-Fi turned off, and say as much in their documentation. They also say "actual results may vary". And I think a majority of people who own phones of this nature know that there are many varibles that will increase/decrease battery life. The feature that you fail to mention is the ambient light detector, which adjusts the screen brightness (which you can set a maximum); that alone will save you valuable battery life.

Have you never seen one in person? Yes, it gets fingerprints on it, and a cotton shirt and a little breath will take care of it. For bigger smears, a dab of water or lens cleaner (for glasses) in the middle of the screen takes care of the rest. And anyone that is going to spend $500 on a phone will probably have the good sense to keep liquid away from the earpiece (the only place it could easily get in).

It is not designed for a stylus. And if it came with a stylus, it would also come with a plastic outer screen that would get dull and scratched up far worse (or that has been my experience with Palm and an 8125). The glass screen is what makes it much easier to clean, and much nicer to look at day-to-day.

I can't stress this enough: we are on version 1.0 of the software; give them a few updates to the OS before you start crying foul.

-a

4. jgrant

jgrant Active Member

Everyone has there oppinions, and as I said, these are my negative ones. I honestly cant have many positive ones until I buy the phone.

5. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

Why can't you? Basing negative opinions on supposition is just as bad.

6. jgrant

jgrant Active Member

I cant have positive oppinions because that everyone has a different oppinion on the iPhone. I think the price itself is crazy, and my friend bought one and hates it. So basically all I heard away from this website is the negative, so how do you expect me to be positive about it?

7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Just a note onthe battery life, the music player without Bluetooth and that on, twenty nine hours.

8. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

How to DOUBLE Your Battery Life

OK, this is going to cost you about another $100 but it does double(conservatively) the life of your iPhone battery: I have a 2G 16GB iPhone and I got the Mophie Juice Pack (bought it online) and it definitely doubles the life of your battery. I do not know if Mophie has yet developed a similar product for the 3G iPhone but you ought to check it out. I have some other posts where I talk about the Mophie Juice Pack. If you want more info, go to their website or search for Mophie in my previous posts.

9. lowrydanny

lowrydanny Member

In terms of battery life, Apple fixes problems as they go along.

What you said about charging and battery life was true for the first few generations of iPods, but they figured it out.

If you want a better product from Apple, just wait until the 3rd or 4th generation. They'll have fixed the glitches by then.

10. rafayj

rafayj Member

I agree with you on the battery part, I am having terrible battery failures, my battery just lasts for a few hours.

About your second question, the touch screen might get destroyed if you dont take care of it properly, else it would be all fine though its often said that touch stops working often on many phones.