AT&T is taking away my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by monkeywrench76, Jul 11, 2007.

1. monkeywrench76

monkeywrench76 New Member

OK. I know this is a phone, not a starndad apple product. This means that they have created a product for another company (AT&T) to service. So, this is not all apple... BUT...

I need Apple's help to allow me to keep their product! I purchased an iPhone last week, and I am extremely happy with it. I have been an apple customer since 1982, and I have purchased almost every product they have made.

So, now I have this new iPhone, and I love it. I am a die-hard Verizon customer, but for Apple - hey, I switched.

So... I found out a few days ago that I am being re-located to Vermont. I am here now, and I have 5 bars of service. But I now find out that AT&T is going to cancel my service anywhere between 3 and 10 months from now (when they get around to it) because I am roaming too much. See, they don't have service in Vermont, so I am using one of their partner providers (Unicel). Although the service I am getting is good, I am not profitable enough for them to keep me as a customer, so they will get rid of me. I will, of course, be stuck with a non-working iPhone.

Now, this is not a situating where I purchased a $60 subsidized phone in exchange for a 2 year contract. I paid the full retail price of $600 for this device. I did so happily. But now, AT&T will render it useless.

Apple needs to help ALL their customers protect their right to own and use an iPhone. It's more than a phone, its a tool that goes with your life, like other apple products.

Apple - you are all about design and customer experience. From the product, to the box, to your call centers, the entire user experience has been carefully crafted. You can hear it when you talk to Apple representatives. Well, after talking with AT&T, the contract could not be more dramatic... they come off as a bunch of low-level, low care drones.

Apple, AT&T is now a part of your customer experience. I know there was a good reason to partner with them, but they don't shine line your image does... and you run the risk of tarnishing that apple.

So, is there someone at Apple who is in charge of the integration of customer service between the two companies? Can someone help me keep my iPhone?

Thanks!

2. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

Everyone who has an iPhone paid full retail.

Has AT&T actually said in writing they will be canceling you, or are you extrapolating it based on what Sprint is doing?

-a

3. monkeywrench76

monkeywrench76 New Member

I was on a call with an Apple supervisor (really nice guy) and an AT&T supervisor (Dronish kinda guy). AT&T made it clear that they will cancel me in a few months. He told us the proceedure. I will be sent a letter telling me that I am roaming too much, and then I will be terminated shortly thereafter. He said this is a directive from the executive level, and he could not do anything about it.

4. Jamson

Jamson Active Member

That's kind of unfair. You paid for the product, you should be allowed to use it. Besides, how can you take someone's possessions for "walking" too much?

5. Hazel

Hazel Well-Known Member

That's ridiculous. They can't cancel you for roaming. If they don't want people to use the service there, they shouldn't be providing it there. They shouldn't be able to cancel you for roaming!

6. drew888

drew888 Well-Known Member

The corporations are not about customer service anymore. It's all about money and governments let them get away with it. Have you heard about Sprint dropping a large amount of customers for making too many calls to customer service?

7. Hazel

Hazel Well-Known Member

I hadn't actually heard about that, but it seems almost contradictory to drop people for using customer service too much. It's as it they don't want customers..............................

8. drew888

drew888 Well-Known Member

Yeah here's the story...
    Sprint drops customers seeking help

They figure they are big enough to lose some customers. Customer service everywhere has got a lot worse than it was years ago. When corporations get so big they can do whatever they want.