Use Airplane Headphone Jacks to charge iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by drew888, Jul 5, 2007.

1. drew888

drew888 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it works but it would be useful for those that take flights to be able to charge their ihpone from their seat using the headphone jack via USB.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/charger/inflightpowers-chargers-turns-airplane-headphone-jacks-into-iphoneipod-usb-power-275340.php

2. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

Should be fine; my iPod car charger works with my iPhone, so I suspect that they both require the same voltage.

3. Hazel

Hazel Well-Known Member

Should work, but I think we can expect very slow charge times considering the low power output of a headphone socket. May be worth a look for someone who does a lot of flying and just cannot do without their iphone for a few hours.

4. syedwasi87

syedwasi87 Active Member

sounds interesting, though the one thing i dont like about airplane headphones is their dual jack thingy, so that we cant use them on normal mp3 players which have single jacks..

but how would it work, wont there be a static noise?

5. drew888

drew888 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure but I don't know if I would want to try it or not. I think I would prefer to just charge it the normal way as per instructions. Just incase something weird happens through their jacks.

6. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

If the plug fits it is always worth trying. I have a mobile device for the iPod as well that I use and it seems to be fine as well.

7. bnicholson2

bnicholson2 Member

Heh, nothing like stealing electricity from your airplane! I've actually done this with my Blackberry Pearl and it does work. I'd say go for it!