General iPhone FAQ

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by macphone, Jul 5, 2007.

1. macphone

macphone Member

iPhone Specs
    What comes in the box:
    iPhone
    Stereo Headset
    Dock
    Dock Connector to USB Cable
    USB Power Adapter
    Documentation
    Cleaning/polishing cloth

Wireless data
    Wi-Fi (802.11b/g)
    EDGE
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

Power and battery
    Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery
    Talk time: Up to 8 hours
    Standby time: Up to 250 hours
    Internet use: Up to 6 hours
    Video playback: Up to 7 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 24 hours
    For more info, please refer Apple - iPhone - Tech Specs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IPhone monthly plans
    Three monthly plans with a minimum two-year service contract will be available: the $59.99 plan includes 450 minutes of voice time; a $79.99 plan includes 900 minutes; and a $99.99 plan includes 1,350 minutes. All three offer 200 text messages, unlimited data services, minutes that roll over month-to-month and mobile-to-mobile calls. There also is a $36 activation fee.
    Customers can pay extra for plans to get more talk time or text messages. Several family-style plans also are available, ranging from $80 a month for 700 shared minutes to $120 for 2,100 shared minutes.
    The monthly rates for the iPhone are roughly $10 less than comparable service plans for other smart phones offered through AT&T, AT&T spokesman Michael Coe said.
    The monthly fee will be on top of the iPhone's price — $499 for a model with 4 gigabytes of storage and $599 for one with 8 gigabytes.
    For more info, please refer iPhone Exclusively from AT&T and Apple - AT&T, formerly Cingular Wireless

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General iPhone FAQ
    Is it a Mac? Can it run Mac programs?
    No. iPhone lacks many of the programmers' interfaces required to create a Mac program, and has a radically different user interface from a desktop Mac.

Does it sync with my Mac/PC?
    Yes, iTunes provides synchronization services for Safari bookmarks on Mac or PC, Internet Explorer bookmarks on PC, Mac Mail/Outlook/Outlook Express email accounts, iTunes music and video, Mac Address Book and Outlook contacts, and photos from iPhoto or a PC folder.

Can it sync wirelessly?
    No, it must be docked like an iPod to sync.

What is the data speed?
    In our testing, we mostly saw around 160 Kbit/sec in suburban areas. We've also seen rates as high as 192 Kbit/sec in the central Greater Boston area. We have been pleasantly surprised. Carriers usually claim 70 to 135 Kbit/sec, with potential bursts up to 200 Kbit/sec. (There are ten classes of EDGE devices; the fastest can attain 236 Kbit/sec under ideal conditions. It is not known what class iPhone is.) iPhone supports 802.11b/g WiFi networks, which theoretically can provide up to 54 Mbit/sec

How long does it take a web page to load via the EDGE network?
    Depends upon the web page and the signal strength. The New York Times home page loads a whopping 500 Kbytes of data, and requires almost half a minute to load completely! And much longer if the signal is weak.

Does iPhone support WiFi security?
    iPhone supports WEP, WPA and WPA2.

Does it have a hands-free set or earphones?
    Yes, iPhone includes a combination, stereo earphones with a microphone in one cord. Music fades out when you take or make a call, then comes back when the call is completed. Bluetooth wireless hands-free sets also should work with iPhone, but stereo Bluetooth devices such as music-quality headphones do not work.

Does the Dock connector work with my iPod accessories?
    Yes, but devices must be immune to radio interference and certified by Apple.

Can I use iChat? If not, what's that iChat icon on the home screen then?
    No, it is SMS texting. iPhone presents text messages like an iChat-style conversation.

How about MMS messaging?
    iPhone does not appear to support MMS-style messaging, only SMS text and email.

Can it sync contacts and calendars with my Mac or PC?
    Yes, it uses iTunes to sync with your Mac or PC. Apple says iPhone will sync contacts with Address Book and Microsoft Entourage on Mac, and with Outlook and Outlook Express on Windows, as well as a Yahoo! address book. iPhone's calendar may be synced with iCal and Entourage on the Mac, and Outlook on Windows.

Can I use email/web in airplane mode?
    Yes. Safari will view pages it currently has open. Mail can view messages it has already downloaded, and outgoing messages will be queued for sending when it exits Airplane Mode.

What video formats does it support?
    H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second; Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
    H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second; Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
    MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second; Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Does it play movies and TV shows from the iTunes Store? Wide screen movies? Can I buy videos from the iTunes Store from my iPhone?
    Yes. But you need to buy the video from your PC or Mac

Does it play HD video?
    No.

Can I take videos with iPhone's camera?
    No.

What audio formats does iPhone support?
    MP3 (VBR and fixed bitrate), AAC, Protected AAC from the iTunes Store, MP3, Audible (formats 1, 2, and 3), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV.

How many songs can iPhone store?
    Our 8GB test unit had 7.24GB of available space when we received it. At an average of 6 MB per song file, it could hold around 1200 songs.

Can I use iPhone to listen music from iTunes on the local network?
    No. (Apple has several other products tht do this, including Apple TV, Airport Express, and the Mac Mini).

Can I send photos via MMS?
    No. iPhone does not support MMS-style messaging, you can send them via email, or save them to be synced back to your Mac or PC.

Can I get directions using Google Maps?
    Yes. After finding a location, you can get directions from another address. These directions include turn-by-turn map instructions.

Can I login to get my YouTube favorites?
    No.

Can I upload videos from my iPhone directly to YouTube?
    No.

Is the video quality the same as on a Mac, Windows PC or Apple TV?
    When using WiFi, quality is the same as on a desktop Mac or PC, but when using EDGE, a lower quality version is loaded. There may be a substantial wait time for the video to start loading over EDGE; we experienced 15 to 45 second delays, depending on our signal strength.

What widgets are included?
    Text, Calendar, Photos, Camera, YouTube, Stocks, Maps, Weather, Clock, Calculator, Notes, and Settings.

Can I download more widgets like I can for Dashboard?
    No.

Can I play games on iPhone?
    No.

Does it support flash and java?
    No.

How do I turn iPhone off?
    Press and hold the button on the top, then confirm by swiping the red bar on the screen.

Can iPhone be locked with a password?
    Yes, an optional four-digit passcode can be required whenever iPhone is turned on or woken from sleep. This passcode also prevents photos from being downloaded via iTunes.

Can I watch video on it if I don't active the iPhone?
    No.

How can I active the iPhone?
    Apple - iPhone - Activation & Sync - Medium

2. alkoller

alkoller Member

This is an outstanding job giving lots of facts. Thanks!

3. xmh

xmh New Member

First off, I would like to say that was an excellent listing. I do have a few questions though that I'm unsure of. I only know of things currently on the iPhone. Do you know if in the future they plan to support games, video recording, and better support for youtube? Seems a bit strange that you can watch youtube videos but can't login to your favorites. Thanks!

4. drew888

drew888 Well-Known Member

Great job of listing everything and thanks for posting for the members here.

The battery life is pretty decent for the amount of things the iphone can do. So it says the battery is built in...That mean you have to wait for it to recharge before you can use it again and you can't buy an extra battery for it?

5. peters

peters New Member

Hello, noob here, I have the 3G. I share itunes with limewire. The songs synced to my phone. However, The movies, which I converted to work on phone will not sync.