my views on the i phone, what do you think?

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by saul, Jul 3, 2007.

1. saul

saul New Member

first is the battery life, it doesn't last a whole day and i have heard you cannot even replace the battery. the life span is 300 charges(then what?????)
    calendar is ok, photos ok, camera could be better and what about video?
    how about the next 4 you tube,stocks,maps,weather these are just shortcuts instead of having 1 button to go on the internet.
    clock ok, calculator ok, notes( this isn't notes that can sync with outlook and what about tasks from outlook that doesn't sync either.
    Let's talk about using the phone: it's really a pain to locate a number when you can't categorize your contacts. otherwise the features once you get into a contact are nice. The speaker phone is not so loud.
    The voice mail features are great.
    safari and ipod programs are done nice.
    What about adding programs?????
    The email program: "terrible"you cannot change how you want your emails viewed and you can't even mass delete. It does look nice when you open an email.

2. maxpayne_20000

maxpayne_20000 Active Member

These are only a few features that the iphone lacks. To add, it has a 2 mega pixel camera without any zoom and flash capabilities. The first version also does not support 3G technology.

3. saul

saul New Member

you are right I did forget to add that it 's only 2 mega pix no zoom and no flash, and you are correct about not supporting 3g technology,
    bottom line they were not ready to launch the phone.

4. alkoller

alkoller Member

I'm not sure what folks think they should get for $600 -- a 10 megapixel camera, a video recorder/playback unit, a stereo iPod with woofers and tweeters??? The iPhone has sixteen working functions built in and available at startup, and that's just the beginning. Now let's see -- at $600 for 16 functions, that would make it $37.50 each, right? What kind of digital camera can you buy for $37.50? How about a $37.50 email system; or a $37.50 web browser system; or a $37.50 cell phone that does SMS?

I hope you can see the message here; it's a real bargain, not because of any single feature: you can buy any one of them for less money and get better quality. But where can you buy ALL of them that work together in an integrated system that weighs less than half a pound and is small enough to carry in your pocket??? And not even one week has passed yet, so we haven't even begun to see the changes and improvements that will come about. Holy cow guys, what do you expect, for goodness sakes?

Someone even suggested it would be better to wait six months so some of the features could be better. Well, Microsoft does that all the time, and guess what -- there are STILL a ton of problems because NO ONE CAN DISCOVER all the problems in the lab. Sad but true; it takes real people who are willing to try new things to make progress. Waiting just delays all those trials and shifts the issue to some other area.

Just enjoy all the neat stuff this new iPhone provides. I guarantee it will only get better, but for now, it's great!

5. bnicholson2

bnicholson2 Member

I read your comment on the battery life. I'm wondering how much you use your iPhone, because that definitely plays a role on how long the battery will last.

6. alkoller

alkoller Member

Battery Life

Well, I have the same concern. So far I have charged the unit three times, with what I consider moderate use. It's charging now for the fourth time, and this is only my 12th day as an owner. However, it appears to me that the time between charging is lengthening, meaning that it takes better charges as it "learns" what is required. Some rechargeable batteries take a memory set, and if these do that, then running them down into the "red" zone (the battery turns red at 20% remaining charge and the system notifies you of low battery power), should result in increased capacity. Once you reach full charge with full discharge as a habit, you will get maximum capacity from each use, and that's what I am expecting will happen.

Time will tell, and I'll post more as I learn more, but so far I am really pleased with the iPhone. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

7. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

Please provide a link to this statistic. Is there a website that lists battery life? I'd love to see what others get.

But once you get on the internet, it's another button to access bookmarks, a tap to launch, and then wait for it to load. Is that any better?

How many contacts do you have? I have over 100, and it takes me no time to scroll to the name I want (unlike my old 8125, holy crap!).

I don't understand; do you mean having it look more like Outlook, with a frame for each thing? The mail settings has adjustments for # of shown e-mails, # of preview lines and adjustable font size, so "cannnot change" is a little dramaqueen-ish.

My two cents,
    -a

8. alkoller

alkoller Member

Doing Great

I agree with you Anomalight; I think the few issues known so far are either very small indeed or not as poorly done as other phones. From some of the comments I am guessing the folks who are posting don't really own an iPhone and are either repeating rumors they've heard or are sharing sour grapes. That's why I thought it might be useful to have comments from those who own and are using iPhones regularly. I learn something new on mine every day.

The phone is expensive -- no doubt about it -- but it truly is an experience that makes it worth the cost. I also think many of the feature-related problems that exist now will be dealt with fairly quickly via software.

9. anomalight

anomalight Well-Known Member

Actually, if you were to buy any smartphone at full retail price, it's comparable. One of the only reasons people are bitching about the price is because Apple chose not to subsidize it.

I SO agree! I keep reminding people of this, and will continue to do so: we are on OS version 1.0. People need to take a breath and let Apple do a few updates before they have a leg to stand on.

-a