Unrecognized File Types in Camera Roll, won't import

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by amcnaughton, Aug 23, 2009.

1. amcnaughton

amcnaughton New Member

So tried a full reboot, Iphoto still can't import or see the photo's, and is telling me that there are 188 unrecognized files still on my Iphone.
    Any ideas how to work around this issue, use a third party program to import them, or something lie that.
    Help! These shots are of a mountain I climbed and I would really like to import them.
    Thanks.
    A

2. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

iPhone only recognises photos in JPEG format. do ensure that your photos are in that format. if not convert it to JPEG format and try re-syncing.
    should work

3. amcnaughton

amcnaughton New Member

Iphoto is not displaying the photo's, how to I access them? the file types were jpeg when it first gave me the error message, and now I can't even see the files in iphoto. I have tried to find file extractor programs, but they don't seem to work, or be out there.
    any help is appreciated
    thanks
    A

4. amcnaughton

amcnaughton New Member

I also tried a windows import, camera wizard couldn't find them either.

5. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

dont have too much knowledge on Mac, however try these steps below cortesy apple forum:

Try these in order - from best option on down...

1. Do you have an up-to-date back up? If so, try copy the library6.iphoto file from the back up to the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) allowing it to overwrite the damaged file.

2. Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

3. If neither of these work then you'll need to create and populate a new library.

To create and populate a new iPhoto 08 library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same Events and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, modified versions, books, calendars etc.

In the iPhoto Preferences -> Events Uncheck the box at 'Imported Items from the Finder'

Move the iPhoto Library to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library (Right Click -> Show Package Contents) on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual Event Folders to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.

Regards
    Prime

6. genepope

genepope New Member

I recently upgraded to a new Mac Pro and could not get iPhoto or anything else to import from my Canon Powershot 720 IS (always gave the unrecognized format error even though it worked perfectly on the prior Mac Pro). I tried all the steps mentioned above, rebuilt the library, new user, new app, etc and nothing worked. I even called Apple support and they couldn't figure it out so they said to give Canon support a call. Canon replied with a note that said to use a different USB port, not one on the keyboard or on an un-powered hub. My first thought was "yeah, right. what a bunch of bozos" but I tried it anyway since I was desperate and guess what, it worked! It turns out that in getting the new Mac I also had to get two DVI Dual Link adapters which plug into the USB ports, presumably to get power, and the monitor's USB cable then plugs into the adapter. I had the camera USB hooked to one of these monitors. I moved it to the USB port on the main monitor, whose USB cable plugs directly into the computer, and all works fine. I presume that the Canon Powershot is more sensitive to power or signal levels than the other USB devices I use and the port through the Dual Link DVI adapter was just not quite up to snuff.