Whats the difference between a new iphone and a refubrished one?

Discussion in 'iPhone Newbies' started by omarV, Aug 9, 2009.

1. omarV

omarV Member

Hey,
    well that's the question, what's the difference? Should I get a refubrished one if i don't have the money for a new one??

2. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

How Technically Oriented Are You?

I think the answer, for you, depends upon just how technically proficient you are. If you are able to easily handle software and hardware glitches without losing a step, so to speak, you are going to be okay with a refurbished iPhone.

However, if you are see yourself as a non-geek, non technical kind of a person, you would do much better to buy a new iPhone, directly from your nearest Apple retail store (along with the Apple Care plan for it--that's about an extra $99.00, but well worth it), so that you can have direct access to the folks who staff the Genius Bar in the Apple stores. Then, whenever you have a challenge (except for dropping it into water or dropping it and breaking the screen--which are not covered) the Genius at the Genius Bar will walk you through how to resolve the issue which is currently bothering you regarding your iPhone.

I think this outlines the best way to decide whether to buy a refurbished iPhone (if you are technically proficient), or whether you should buy a new iPhone (along with the Apple Care Plan) if you are not a technically minded person.

3. fardreamer

fardreamer Active Member

I'd go with what Blue Frog said; if you are not a technical genius and don't know about hardware or software, getting a refurbished iPhone is a fool's errand. Yeah, you could save the money you would have spent on a new iPhone4, but what if it is not working properly after a few days or weeks? What if it's a knockoff made by some Mafia outfit in Italy?

4. sonyman74

sonyman74 Member

Well, I have had a few deal ins with getting a refurbished phone. Basically a refurbished phone could be one that was never used by anyone. Could have been one that was damaged in the store and sent back. I have had refurbished phones in the past and they worked better than the one that I purchased. Usually At&t gave you a refurbished phone if it was a warranty replacement. But If it is from the phone manufacture it should be good as new and should also have the same warranty as a new phone. Just to give a good example. When I got to the Apple store to get my NEW iPhone 4 I noticed it had a scratch on the top and bottom edge. Showed it to the sales person and she gave me a new phone. The will most likely send mine in to get a new front screen and resale it a refurbished or even as a new phone.

5. naazlee

naazlee Well-Known Member

Well, I think both refurbished and new phone has its own limitations and advantages. Of course if you are not a technical genius please treat yourself with a new one or wat till you can afford as it would be worth the cost and patience.