Itunes wont install AMDS so cannot see iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by Joffy46, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Joffy46

Joffy46 New Member

Hi everyone :)…After I installed itunes 8.2 on my Windows XP OS ,it didn’t recognise my new iphone 3gs – after countless uninstalls and re-installs of the same and different (earlier) versions (as prompted by forums) of Itunes with firewall off etc etc– they all wont install the "apple mobile device part."

It says installer encountered errors before completing and just ‘rolls back’. but then continues to install the rest of itunes, quicktime bonjour etc..

There isn’t even a folder called apple mobile device in programfiles/commonfiles/apple/ - (after the itunes Install to be able to update drivers as suggested elsewhere on here)

So I have also tried and extracted the applemobiledevice.msi from the 8.2 installer and tried to use that, and the errors continue. It seems no matter what I do its an endless loop of installation errors everyway around.

It wont allow me to install AMDS at all. I don't currently have AMDS installed, its not in my add/remove programs and not in programfiles/commonfiles/apple and not seen in “services” to be able to restart it or stop it - there is no folder for AMDS even there.

Mine does not give me that option to remove/repair, which I'm pretty sure is because I don't actually have any applemobiledevice installed, and that kind of turns this problem into an endless loop of not being able to get it installed. I can't just upgrade/repair/remove because I don't have one installed, and I can't just install one because it says the installation encountered errors. Can anyone HELP!!?...

2. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

use revo uninstaller package(google it to download) and try uninstalling itunes,quick time etc completely. using revo software it uninstalls all traces of the apple software including registry keys. try uninstalling everything using revo, restart and try installing itunes once again....
    if the above does not work...try using a different computer/laptop to get it work....if its working on a different pc...then no doubt tht its a pc related problem and contact microsoft to get further help....

3. Joffy46

Joffy46 New Member

Thanks for your suggestion OptimusPrime - tried it and it didnt work! rest of Itunes installed except the first part where it just 'rolled back' after installing AMDS !....still at a loss :-(

4. optimusprime

Was doing some research online. Try the below mentioned steps

1. Turn off all antivirus and firewalls when freshly installing iTunes. Turn off your antivirus software then download iTunes and through this entire process. Install iTunes (includes QuickTime, Apple Update, and Apple Mobile Device Driver, of course) completely.

2. Plug in your iPhone to a USB port. Right click on My Computer. Click Manage. Open up Device Manager.

3. Scroll to the bottom of the list at the right. Click the plus sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand it. Right click "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" or "Apple iPhone" (could say either).

4. Click "Update Driver".

5. Click "Browse my computer for driver sofware. Locate and install driver software manually."

6. Click "Browse".

7. Navigate to "windows/system32/driverstore/usbaapl.sys". *Very Important: This is a little misleading. In the Driverstore folder (it's actually abbreviated DRVRSTR or something similar), you will find the usbaapl file, but it will have a long series of numbers and letters after the above filename. For the sake of brevity and possibly due to being different per system, they are not listed here; but simply look for that usbaapl file, and you will be fine. **DO NOT use the folder "Drivers" for this solution*. Only use the Driverstore as indicated above.

8. Click "OK".

9. I had to install three times as the first two tries gave me a message stating that there was an error when installing. It worked the very first time for me. I was lucky!

Once the driver installs your iPhone will wake up and you will see your iPhone in iTunes.

Check it out if it works * *

5. optimusprime

If the above does nt work. Try the below:

You will need:
    1. The previous version of iTunes - 8.1.1
    Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com
    2. The current version of iTunes - 8.2
    Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes
    3. WinRAR
    WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

1. Delete the folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support"
    2. Using WinRAR, extract "applemobiledevicesupport.msi" from the 8.1.1 iTunes installer file to your desktop.
    3. Run applemobiledevicesupport.msi to install the previous version of Apple Mobile Device Support. This won't jive with iTunes 8.2. If you try to run it, you'll just get the old error message.
    4. Using WinRAR, extract "applemobiledevicesupport.msi" from the 8.2 iTunes installer file to your desktop overwriting the old version.
    5. Run applemobiledevicesupport.msi to intstall the new version of AMDS over the previous version.
    6. Start up iTunes.
    7. Plug in iPhone

It should now recognize the device.

Chk it out

6. Joffy46

Joffy46 New Member

Thanks for sticking with this problem OptimusPrime and your time spent researching for me, I too have seen these already and have tried to do as they say, however, I dont have the drivers installed for Apple Mobile Device as thats the bit that never installs, the iTunes installer goes through the motions but I notice it "rolls back" when finished with the first bit (AMDS) and doesnt install it and then just carries on installing the rest of Itunes (please see my OP). there are no folders to delete / drivers to move as I cant install them in the first place !!...If I could just get the AMDS bit installed Im sure we could resolve this by sugestions already made...Thanks for trying tho...appreciated...

7. optimusprime

glad to help you out...have u tried installing it on a different pc/laptop???

8. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 Well-Known Member

Yes may try using different pc. Very strange but sometimes it works. Once I was trying to install something but it did not work. I tried in my friend's pc and I was successful. Wish you can get your problem solved as early as possible.