If I buy a simfree 3GS from Hong Kong, will it work in UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by lloydee, Aug 5, 2009.

1. lloydee

lloydee New Member

Hi all,

I'm currently on T-Mobile (stuck with them for another year :() but I really want an iphone 3GS!!

Well I'm travelling to Hong Kong in October, and have read that Apple HK sell their iphones factory unlocked.

As quoted by the website:
    "iPhone 3G & iPhone 3GS purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS and connect to iTunes 8.2 to complete activation."

My question is, is it just unlocked to HK carriers or will it be open to any simcard (including my UK T-Mobile one), and will the phone be FULLY functional?

Also, should I decide to purchase, do I activate there and then in-store, or when I get back home with my T-Mobile chip? (My main concern is once activated, the phone may be locked to that particular carrier??)

2. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 Well-Known Member

I will suggest you to buy from HK. If you activate it there you can use it there. And after returning to UK if your iphone doesn't work you can unlock or jailbreak it to use under any operator.

3. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

A factory unlocked iPhone should work fine in UK with any sim card, just like any unlocked phone.

4. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

i second ur comments Alex...a factory unlocked iphone should work anywhere in the world