Growing Closer to Our iPhones App By App

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by blue frog, Aug 3, 2009.

1. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

As we accumulate more and more apps on our iPhones, we acquire more and more specific "bundles of satisfactions" that address our individual needs or wants. This accumulation of apps inevitably includes a cluster of "must have" or "can't go without" apps, too.

While we are pleased to have such useful tools, it is also necessary to note that we are forging, to some extent, chains that bind us to the iPhone platform. If your particular set of must have apps are not available on any other platform, it is less likely that we will jump to another competing smartphone platform.

I think that we all have enjoyed having "number portability" here in the USA; that simply means that when we move from one wireless provider to another, we can choose to take the same phone number with us. What about "app portability?" I don't think that anyone has addressed this before. It seems to me that app portability may grow into some importance in the future.

What do you think about that?

2. Webgirl

Webgirl New Member

This sounds good, but don't think it's possible.
    iPhone SDK is completely different from all the other.

3. blue frog

Platform Desirability Reduces Need For App Portability

Fortunately, we have an excellent platform in the iPhone. That reduces the desire or need for the portability of our apps.

The nice feature that we all are now taking for granted is that, via the iTunes Store, we have complete portability of all of our apps as we upgrade from one iPhone to another iPhone.

At this point, the only possible long-term challenger to the primacy of the iPhone is the Google Android phone. However, I do not think they are close enough, as of now, to challenge the iPhone in a serious manner.

4. blue frog

Better Android Phones Will Up The Ante for iPhone

As Android develops a stronger platform and acquires more interesting Apps, Apple will have to get very serious, very fast to compete more effectively. That means that the iPhone will step up its game dramatically.

A lack of meaningful competition only means that the iPhone platform will drift into a relaxed and very gradual series of evolutionary upgrades.

Therefore, let's hope for some vigorous competition for iPhone.