Conversion of 2G to 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Newbies' started by Khyber, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Khyber

Khyber New Member

Hi all,

Is it possible to convert 2G iPhone to 3G? Is it something software that has to be updated or the 2G has to be dumped and 3G should be purchased? what is the best solution?

Is there anyway to make apps compatible with 2G?

Thanking you in advance

Regards

2. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Hardware Related Not Software

Unless I have misunderstood something, the 2G and 3G designations are for the hardware (the physical phoneset). Some of us may mistakenly apply 2G or 3G to generational iterations of older versus newer iPhones.

Also, 2G iPhone are capable of running software that may have been designed for 3G iPhones but 2G iPhones will not be able to access or benefit from all of the 3G features that may be in such software.

Some iPhone users, such as myself, have chosen to hold onto their 2G iPhones because, until the introduction of the 3GS, we did not see enough of a compelling reason to upgrade. For example, on my 2G 16GB iPhone, I have a longer battery life than those who upgraded to the 3G iPhone when it came out. Since, the more precise 3G GPS features have not yet been necessary for me, I have resisted the urge to upgrade.

Now that the 3GS iPhone has added even more speed, I am mildly tempted. However, I expect to continue to hold out until the next iPhone is introduced next year. That would probably happen in late June 2010 or in July of 2010.

Since AT&T has not covered itself in glory (here in the USA) with quality 3G coverage, it appears that (a) my decision to hold off has been a good choice and (b) it is unlikely that the next iPhone, to be introduced in 2010, will be a 4G iPhone. It seems logical that AT&T would first have to finish building out their 3G network before they undertake the introduction of a 4G network.

If you do own a 2G iPhone, even if you were able to find software that emulates 3G capabilities, the 2G hardware itself would not be able to give you the increased speed that 3G users enjoy.