3G use without contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by jeangros, Jul 30, 2009.

1. jeangros

jeangros New Member

Hello,

I have been using the iphone 2g for over two years and had bought it before they required a ssn to get an iphone, thus I was using a GoPhone plan and had the "unlimited data" plan which they don't do anymore.

Happened that I wanted to get the 3gs... I went to an apple store and was kindly told I am not eligible for any kind of upgrade :(.

I then talked with an incompetent seller which ended up selling me the blackberry bold (without contract), telling me to call 611 (GoPhone account managing number) and to add a data package so that I would be able to use it's 3G feature.

I did, and it didn't work. Why? I went back to the shop and talked with the manager that apologized about 15 times for his employee which sold me a phone which shouldn't be sold without contract.. and of course, no contract without SSN (or you could still make a tiny 700$ deposit... you kidding...?).

So, I got a full refund, but lost my unlimited data plan and ended up paying for more than I used too. Now, I managed to get a friend of mine to buy an iphone 3gs (without contract), my sim works fine in the phone (which is unlocked and jailbroken) but I can't seem to use the 3G.

Here is the error messages that appears: "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service".

Any help/information appreciated :eek:

2. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

have u subscribed to a data plan for 3G with your carrier......this error is more to do with the carrier's end mpre than anything else....can u use the 3G service with any other 3G enabled phone??

3. jeangros

jeangros New Member

Yes I did, I had the 100Mb/month, and since the plan will change every new month I just swapped to "pay as you go 1cent per kilobit" to see if this would work. Answer tomorrow.