Life Without AT&T: Would The Grass Really Be Greener?

Discussion in 'Wireless Carriers & Plans' started by blue frog, Jul 24, 2009.

1. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

As a longtime critic of AT&T's service and their (mis)treatment of their customers in the USA, I often wonder/fantasize what life on our iPhones would be like without AT&T. Eventually, their exclusive contract with Apple will end.

I heard a podcast that mentioned that one reason 25% of would-be iPhone customers will NOT buy an iPhone is because they do not want to do business with AT&T.

However, when alternative carrier(s) are available in the USA, would the sudden migration away from AT&T overwhelm the new Phone wireless carrier's network?

I am really, really hoping for a much better area of signal coverage and I especially would like to see dramatically better customer service than the sorry excuse for customer service that AT&T trots out as their "fig leaf" of justification for taking care of their customers.

If you're in the USA and you have wondered about this, please share what your vision of life after AT&T looks like.

2. roadrunner2600

roadrunner2600 Well-Known Member

I honestly HATE the idea of phone makers even being allowed to have exclusive deals with cellphone service providers. I think service providers should do just that (provide service) and let the phone makers worry about getting the phones sold. With that said, I don't think there would be too much of a problem with overloading the other networks because I think it is safe to say that there are enough people happy with the service they get with AT&T that they won't be leaving anytime soon. So my opinion is that it will be a GREAT day when this phone gets officially offered on other networks.

3. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Exclusivity Is Bad for Customers

I agree that the exclusivity that AT&T currently enjoys is not good for customers. However, Apple has the benefit of a willing cash cow, in their deal with AT&T.

If the US Congress really wanted to make a difference in cellular service, they should ban exclusive deals; the iPhone should be available for as many carriers as is possible--technology (of the service provider) permitting.

4. daryljames

daryljames Member

It's funny, but I have so many friends and family members who have had the same issues with AT&T. I'm sure there have to be some people out there who have had good experiences or AT&T wouldn't have any customers?

Daryl James
    blackiphoneaccessories.com