changing iphone battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by lofty, Jul 24, 2009.

1. lofty

lofty New Member

hi guys, I've recently bought a secondhand iphone from ebay and noticed that the battery life is appalling if I use any apps and play games etc. so Ive been thinking of changing the battery, can I expect to get significantly more battery life from a new battery or will it still drain quickly when I use apps? Also, I know that the 3gs battery is supposedly better, are there any reasons to stop me buying a 3gs battery and putting that in my iphone 3g? thanks for any replies, Tom

2. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

please tell me...how much is the battery life....for you...
    for me on the 1st gen iphone as well as iphone 3G..i get 1 and a half days to 2 days of battery....this includes decent listening to music and watching videos....if u use more of apps...then the battery life will be even lesss
    on the contrary, iphone 3GS battery life is appaling to say the least. dont try to put the iphone 3GS battery(highly not recommended)

3. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

suggest you dont remove it urself, take professional help if required...or else...check youtube...there are many videos up there on how to remove it.
    BE WARNED...IT IS VERY RISKY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT U R DOING

4. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

2nd Hand iPhone

This will be tougher to resolve than if you had simply bought the iPhone yourself from Apple.

However, if you do go to an Apple Retail Store, you may be able to purchase a new battery for your used iPhone. That may dramatically improve the usable life of the battery--meaning longer times between recharges.

While I am personally considering selling my iPhone (2nd generation 16GB) once the 4th generation phone comes out (?Next June/July?), I would not choose to buy a used iPhone because you will not get the kind of support that I have enjoyed from the Genius Bar at my local Apple retail store. Basically, if you buy an iPhone in an Apple Retail Store, AND you buy the Applecare plan, your trips to the Genius Bar are--for the most part--FREE. The only exceptions to that are if you get water in your iPhone (not covered) or if you drop and break your iPhone (also not covered).

If you have the necessary $$ to buy a new battery for your iPhone, the folks at your local Apple retail store can get the deal done for you. Everything else amounts to putting a bandaid on a really irritating problem.

Good luck.

5. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 Well-Known Member

I don't prefer purchasing used things. These types of products always contain some problems. If you really wish to change battery just go directly to iphone store. That is the safest way.

6. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 Well-Known Member

MIKE520 asked here a question. It is very hard to determine whether your battery is original or fake. But charge problem is very common in iphone users. My battery also dies so fast. You should charge it full in several times.