PC won't install iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by davido2005, Jul 24, 2009.

1. davido2005

davido2005 New Member

I am trying to activate my SIM for my new iPhone, but can't even get my PC to recognise it. I'm using Windows XP and when I first connected the USB, the installing hardware box came up but said it was unable to complete the installation. However, the bubble still came up in the toolbar that the new hardware was ready to use. So, I opened iTunes (have got the latest update), but still it didn't recognise my iPhone.

I have checked the Apple Mobile Device is running in services.msc, and there seems to be no problem there. I can't understand why my PC won't install it, my iPod works fine so I'm baffled!

I just connected my iPod to the same USB socket with the same cable, and it connected no problem at all. But as soon as I try to connect my iPhone the same way - nothing! I remember having this problem when I first installed my iPod a few years ago, but can't remember how I rectified it! Any help would be most appreciated.

2. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Not Technically-Minded But This May Help

Greetings.

As a former Windows XP user, I can empathize with your current challenge.

When I was on a PC with Win XP, I made an appointment at the Genius Bar of my local Apple retail store and they (the Genius who helped me) were always able to resolve the issue for me.

If it is possible in the near future to migrate to an Apple laptop or desktop, I strongly suggest that you do so. I switched over to a MacBook, this past February. Virtually ALL of my firmware update challenges and synching problems vanished!

The folks at the Apple retail store will be glad to take your PC and copy all of your files (at no cost when done at the time of purchase) onto your new computer, if and when you choose to do so.

Also, please consider that when Windows 7 eventually comes out (sometime this Fall), people who have files on a PC with Windows XP will experience really meaningful pain! Walt Mossberg of Wall Street Journal fame (you can download his current, very timely podcast of about 5 minutes length) explains that people who already have VISTA on their PCs will have a slick and easy upgrade experience when upgrading to Windows 7.

HOWEVER, for those with Windows XP PCs, the process is long and tedious and you do face the very real prospect of permanently losing your files!!!

Please do not take it from me; go to iTunes. Get to Podcasts and find all of the Wall Street Journal podcasts and you will locate Walt Mossberg and his reviews. Walt does a super job on reviewing the latest technology and the podcast is FREE.

Good luck with your challenges; I'm sure that you will find a good solution, here on this forum.

3. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

hi there,
    follow the below mentioned steps. you need to put ur iphone into recovery mode

Here’s a quick guide.

1) Start your iTunes and connect your iPhone or iPod touch to your mac/pc.

2) Keep holding the sleep/wake and home button for about 10 seconds. Release the sleep/wake button, but keep holding the home button. you will hear some sounds.

3) If you did it correctly iTunes will tell you that it has detected an iPhone or iPod touch in recovery mode.

4) once it does, restore with the latest version of firmware 3.0 and click restore and then everything should work out just fine

check out my site for steps with screenshots

good luck. lemme know how it goes

4. davido2005

davido2005 New Member

I have followed the above steps, and the iPhone did show up in recovery mode. However, i downloaded firmware 3.0, clicked on it and it did nothing.

I can only get the iPhone to show in recovery mode and, at this point, I get the "Found new hardware" wizard pop up asking me to install "Apple Mobile Device (Recovery Mode)". If I click install it only says "Cannot install this hardware. The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

5. davido2005

davido2005 New Member

Finally got it to work!! :)

I unstalled the iPhone from the Devices Manager, reconnected and directed it to the driver located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support

Then disconnected, reconnected and it works a treat!

Thanks for your help.

6. optimusprime

optimusprime Well-Known Member

glad it worked out... Enjoy