reply-to address for iPhone sent emails is NOT using my Gmail Default??

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by callagga, Jun 28, 2009.

1. callagga

callagga New Member

Hi,

Background - In Gmail I have a default email address which uses my personal domain name (i.e. not my gmail address itself). I have set it to the default in Gmail and this works well as when I create an email in Gmail it automatically sets my personal non-gmail address (which is the default) as the reply-to address.

ISSUE / QUESTION: After setting my new iPhone to use Gmail I can't get the iPhone generated emails to work, they all have reply-to addresses of my actually gmail email address (not my default, which is my personal domain name based email address). Know how to solve this? It's like when Gmail gets a new email to send out via IMAP it doesn't respect it's internal rules for what default reply-to address to use.

APPROACHES I'VE TRIED:

[1] gmail synch (via Exchange Active synch - uses Push)
    ==> Email didn't work at all for me this way

[2] via "Add Account" => "Gmail"
    ==> Email works fine, however it has the above-described issue...

[3] via "Add Account" => "Other"
    ==> Email works fine, however it has the above-described issue...

Thanks in advance

2. ozman82

ozman82 New Member

hi collaga.
    The issue that you are mentioning here is related to the iphone email client and also to the gmail IMAP forwarding servers.
    The default configurations for the Iphone mail client in the google IMAP forwarding allows only the emails from the address that you have with google not any custom address.So its diffult to sort out at the iphone end only if only someone else knows a workaround but i doubt its possible.
    I have used the custom domain name with outlook 2007 and nokia messaging account and it works fine but in iphone it doesnt so its the email client configurations with google that are causing this error.

Give a visit to my baby blog for iphones if you find my reply useful.
    Apple-iPhone

3. callagga

callagga New Member

oh....so no way to work around it then?

Do you happen to know how we raise this to Apple's attention? (or should it be to Google?)