Jailbreak for travel and then restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by mijas12, Jun 24, 2009.

1. mijas12

mijas12 New Member

I am planning to be out-of-country (I am in Canada) for a month or so, and there is no way I am going to use my canadian wireless carrier roaming. I am going to use local SIM cards in the country where I go.
    I understand that iPhone is locked. Can I temporarily jailbreak it to unlock and use other carrier's SIM card? And then when I come back I would like to restore it back, because I don't really want to have it jailbroken forever. I need it only for traveling.
    The alternative is just to buy a cheap handset in the other country and use it instead of iPhone. But I would prefer to use iPhone, I am so used to it. I am just wondering, how easy it is to restore it after it has been jailbroken? Is this a right way to unlock iPhone - to jailbreak it? How safe is it for iPhone?

I have iPhone 3G OS 3.0.

Thanks!

2. CalvinRSX

CalvinRSX Active Member

You can do as you stated jailbreak and unlock the hard part is the sim you use has to be from the country you are going to and it must be an active account, plus you will have to configure the carrier settings of the sim carrier through cydia. If you arnt going to be there more than a week i would not even bother, sounds like a lot of work unless you are on the phone 24/7.