Can we get a patent for an iphone application?

Discussion in 'iPhone Development' started by salamat2, May 28, 2009.

1. salamat2

salamat2 Member

I am developing an iphone application and am wondering if I couldnt my idea. Please let me know. Thanks

2. Adam1389

Adam1389 Active Member

The way I understand it, you can apply for a patent for whatever you want. I would check with Apple to ensure you can do it for an application though.

3. salamat2

salamat2 Member

Ok thanks

4. John Tickles

John Tickles New Member

It will be effective if you consult with the organization about the issue.I mean apple co.They can help you effectively if you have the attractive application.

5. akshita

akshita Member

It is generally difficult to be granted patent for an idea. A specific way of implementing an idea that is totally different to everything before and not just your standard miniscule evolutionary step might have a chance.

All this is of course a good thing, or Taito(?) would be the only company making shoot-em-ups as they release Space Invaders. Heck, we could be stuck with just one company making games at all as they could have patented the idea of making video-games.

But, if you have a truly original game-mechanism you could be granted a patent. (I believe Tetris is a good example).