120 GB iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Newbies' started by zordani, Feb 5, 2009.

1. zordani

zordani Active Member

Will we ever see a 120 GB iPhone on the market? This way I could actually use it as a real ipod, not just as a phone with mp3 rendering capabilities. What about an iPhone that could last for a week before recharging? Will we ever see one?

2. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

Hi Zordani,

That would indeed be great. The limited memory is one of the main issues which I have with my Iphone. I mean I have seen some 60GB memory sticks on the market now and they are tiny so I don't see a reason why they can not put 120GB into an Iphone.

3. Big-jae

Big-jae New Member

because apple would have to charge 7 or 800 dollars for an iphone with that much storage, same reason the 16gig cost more than an 8 and the 32gb cost more than 16 and so and so on....

4. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Dream Bolder!

The current iPhone 3G S (32 GB) will only have to double its memory twice to go slightly beyond your request for 120 GB. I would be dazzled by an iPhone with more than a Terabyte (1000 GB) of memory.

Please remember that our boldest dreams are often eclipsed by technological breakthroughs.

5. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 Well-Known Member

I hope the day is not so far when apple will launch 120GB or of more memory iphone. As competition is growing among mobile companies, facilities of phones will increase day by day.

6. robertd

robertd Member

I don't see why not. I just got a new camera, and it came with an 8 GB SD stick. I know they make them in at least 16 GB. Those things are wafer thin. Yet hold twice what the hard drive on my first computer did. I personally think a better option would be a micro-SD card slot. You could use the adapter sleeve to load songs, apps, photos, etc. on it through your computer. Pop it into the card slot on a phone, and have access to it. Of course then everyone would just buy the smallest GB model phone, but they could make it cheaper in the long run by making them all the same. If you didn't have to switch up the amount of memory, the labeling, etc, and they were all identical, per unit costs would go down. Sell the device, not the memory. An 8 GB memory card runs you around $45. A 16 GB memory card runs around $90. There is no reason for Apple to charge $100 more for that 16 GB in memory.

7. blue frog

As Long As People Will Pay...

Regarding, "..no reason for Apple to Charge $100 more for that 16GB in memory."

All you have to do is look at the amazing financial performance of Apple during this economic meltdown and you realize that Apple can continue charging a premium for their products simply because they do not have any meaningful competition. None of the would-be competitors have the superb ease-of-use, outstanding performance, and coolness that Apple has EARNED.

8. robertd

robertd Member

You mean they EARNED it by exclusive contracts with one carrier, who pays them a great bit per phone sold with 2-year contracts? Let a couple others besides AT&T in on the iPhone, and then we'd see competitive pricing all around. That is why other similar products, or just electronics in general, usually have cheaper prices these days. I totally agree with why they did it. They wanted absolute control. And they pretty much have it if you don't jailbreak it. One reason I just switched to AT&T was so that I could have the iPhone. If it had been available on Sprint or Verizon, I probably would have used them instead.

9. blue frog

We Will Go Where iPhone Goes

I am definitely not a fan of AT&T.

Elsewhere, I have repeated someone else's great sarcastic slogan; that other person stated that it appears that AT&T's slogan is, "We're not happy unless you're not happy."

That said, I would gladly ditch AT&T to go onto any other providers network.

The fact that AT&T's customer service and "user experience" is so bad--and yet Apple has set sales records with their superb iPhone only underscores the excellence of the iPhone platform.

10. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 Well-Known Member

AT&T understands only business not what it's clients want. I don't find AT&T network or facilities better than other providers. Using iphone they are making their position stronger in the market & earning more and more profit.