How to determine iphone is 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone 3G' started by khalilkhan, Feb 1, 2009.

1. khalilkhan

khalilkhan Member

I am buying iphone from a guy who says this is 3g. 3g is not written on phone. How can i know that it is 3g..

2. Walrusaurus

Walrusaurus Well-Known Member

If the back is plastic (all plastic, either black or white) then it is the iphone 3G. if it is aluminium with a small black plastic bit on the bottom, then it is the original iphone.

3. cobalt1

cobalt1 Member

the original 2g iPhone has somewhat shiny back due to a metallic surface! but 3g phone has a dull back... moreover simply checkout the option of 3G in the phone! :)

4. zordani

zordani Active Member

ha ha, that was such a silly question. Don't take it personally, but what are you doing buying a phone that's clearly not intended for you? Then again, go for it, but don't mod it or hack it unless you want to risk it bricking.

5. Walrusaurus

The back of the iphone 3G definitely doesn't have a dull back, it's much shinier than the original iphone, that one is dull.

6. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

Hello guys,

I am a bit confused now to the different answers which have been given in this thread. So which version has the more shiny back? It it the 2G or the 3G version?

7. Walrusaurus

The iPhone 3G has a shiny (especially in black, less so in white) all plastic back, while the original iPhone has a mostly aluminium (aluminum) back, with a small black plastic part a long the bottom, it is also slightly less shiny. The easiest and most reliable way to tell though is by seeing if the back of the phone is metal (original iPhone) or plastic (iPhone 3G).

You can also tell by looking to see if the phone has a flat back (original iPhone) or a curved back (iPhone 3G)

8. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

Hi Walrusaurus,

Thank you for giving a proper and accurate answer to the question. I guess that we can now all clearly find out what type of Iphone we own. Thanks for taking the time to create your post!

9. khalilkhan

khalilkhan Member

thanks Walrusaurus for nice information. I bought 3g. you helped me in buying this phone.

10. Walrusaurus

:)

You're very welcome, have fun with it!