Removing Custom Ringtones

Discussion in 'iPhone Newbies' started by Grizz, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Grizz

Grizz Member

Just like the title says, I finally managed to get some custom ringtones on my iPhone after several days of trying with an awsome program that a 2 yr old could use. Unfortunately, the first one I loaded was too short and cuts off after about 1/2 a second. Does anyone know how I can remove it from the "Custom Ringtones" section of my iPhone??

2. SpoiledAngel

SpoiledAngel Active Member

You could try opening iphone-interface rmdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones/Song.mp3 and you should be able to delete it that way. If no luck you can also download the drag and drop program and then just go to your ringtones and delete it. Best of luck!!

3. Grizz

Grizz Member

I'm a complete noob when it comes to the iPhone, can anyone explain how I would navigate to that section of the memory?? Also, what is the "drag and drop" program called so I can try to find it if the first suggestion does not work. Thanks for all the help...

4. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

I just hook up my phone to my computer and find the file with the ringtones inside of it. I then simply delete those ringtones that I no longer want. It is similar as what the previous poster does.

5. Grizz

Grizz Member

I am not sure if you Jail broke your phone or not but mine is stock. When I connect it to my computer, the only option I have so search any files is to use iTunes. When I expand the list, it does show the "Ringtones" section however there is nothing contained within that folder. Thant being said, when I go into the Ringtones section on my actual phone it shows several "Custom" ringtones available. Either way, so far, I am unable to delete any of them.

6. SpoiledAngel

Sorry about that I have jailbreak on mine so it is different. You can not find the file in the iTunes library? It should have left a file somewhere. I am not familiar with it in stock condition so not sure how to best advise you but if you have the following info (below) I am happy to try.

What program did you use to download it?

7. Grizz

Grizz Member

After creating them, I used iTunes to download the actual ringtones to the phone. As I said, I can see the files listed under the phone section on iTunes however, when I go into the files there is nothing inside.

How did you jailbreak your phone? I am interested in doing this but can't seem to find any information on breaking the 3G with version 2 or higher firmware.

8. cobalt7

cobalt7 Well-Known Member

you can connect to your PC via usb and then go in the iphone folder and find tones or ringtones and manually delete the ones you dont want in your phone

9. Grizz

Grizz Member

Thanks for the suggestion but again that must be for an unlocked phone which mine is not. When I connect via USB all I get is iTunes initializing and an icon on my phone stating it is charging.

10. SpoiledAngel

Check out Jailbreak Firmware 2.2.1 there is a place there that you can download it and that is what my brother used most recently on his iPhone 3G.