iPhone bought in Dubai

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by mette, Jan 17, 2009.

1. mette

mette New Member

I recently bought a new iPhone 3G in Dubai, where Apple do not officially sell iPhones. However, I was able to walk into a big electronics store in a shopping mall and buy it, without it being locked to a tele provider. I am now worried in case it is cracked, though it came in the original box (but it was charged when I got it), and will stop working if I say yes to a software upgrade. The iPhone came with Italian instructions, and since it is illegal to lock a telephone to one sole tele provider in Italy, maybe the telephone is not cracked after all? How do I find out if it is cracked or not, so I can upgrade without problems of iPhone stops working? Would really appreciate any help I can get with this. Many thanks in advance.

2. descorpio

descorpio Well-Known Member

The very fact you bought it in Dubai - United Arab Emirates is not the right decision, why did you not complain to the shop keeper that it is charged? It is supposed be in a box sealed.

3. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

Well Dubai is well known for its excellent shopping venues so I don't blame you for buying your phone there. If your phone does have Italian instructions then I guess that you should be able to upgrade the software without any problems.

4. cogbuddy

cogbuddy Well-Known Member

Did you got your iphone from an sealed box ? Anyhow, you should ask it to the dealer from where you buyed it ! if its really cracked. you should complain !!

5. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

It seems that he bought it while visiting Dubai so he can not really return to the shop. Iphone is not officially sold in Dubai so you can not contact Apple either. Good luck and let us know what happens.

6. cobalt.rednitaj

cobalt.rednitaj Well-Known Member

hey the box.. was it sealed ?.. i mean whether it had a company seal or just a cello tape???? moreover i hope you got a genuine bill... ?

7. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

I think as mentioned by the OP the box was not sealed properly. The problem is that he bought it in Dubai so I doubt that the warranty will even be valid.

8. zordani

zordani Active Member

There will be no warranty, and the phone is probably cracked. I wouldn't try to update it, if I were you. Just go with it as it is right now.

9. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

I think that Zordani is probably right. Even if you did have a warranty then this would not be valid if you had issues with your phone due to it being hacked. You are best off not updating the software.

10. acuikid

acuikid New Member

IM quite interested to know......Did you save money by buying it there? How much did you pay?