When will iPhone be legal for hands-free in CA

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by Wes, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Wes

Wes New Member

My children have I-phones. We have been told by CHP that the I-phone is not compliant for hands-free use while driving in California. Was told that you cannot be able to reach the phone while driving to answer or dial numbers, send e-mails, etc. In traffic court the judge makes you place your phone on the other side of the room and then asks you to call the phone on his bench. You are not allowed to go to your phone. The Blackberry phones can receive, dial and even send e-mail messages with the phone in the back of your vehicle. How can you make the I-phones compliant?

2. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Solution: Blue Tooth Headset

Your iPhone is Bluetooth capable. If you purchase a Bluetooth headset, you can answer phone calls via your headset (in or on your ear). You can also make a phone call and speak though the Bluetooth headset as you drive.

My wife has told me that she hears me more clearly when I use my Blue Ant headset than when I just use the iPhone itself. Also, I hear the person on the other end much better than when I use the iPhone. There are many manufacturers of Bluetooth headsets. I strongly suggest that you investigate this further online, decide which one you prefer and buy one ASAP.

3. Wes

Wes New Member

Blue tooth head sets

Have the head sets, but just being able to take a call is not sufficient according to CHP. You must be able to voice dial too. The phone must not be within your reach while driving. Even the sales agents at ATT store do not have a solution yet.

4. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Sorry You Have To Deal With CHP & CA Law

That just seems unreasonable!

Here in Colorado, I wish more folks would get a bluetooth headset. I see way too many people driving with a cell phone pressed up against their skulls.

5. descorpio

descorpio Well-Known Member

I dont think such a rule exists.I have spoken to my brother so many times while he had been in driving.He uses the blue tooth head set as well.He lives in Los Angeles.Thats basically more safer than fiddling your phone when you are driving.

6. Wes

Wes New Member

CA hands free use of cell phones regulation..........

You do not get it. The hands free rule applies to how you use all the features of a cell phone. Most cell phones, including the I-phone, can receive calls using a Bluetooth headset. The rub comes when you have to make a call, return a call, or send text messages or e-mail. Your cell phone must not be within reach when you are driving. The three I-phones we have in our family can’t make outgoing calls without touching the phones. Consequently, all we can do is receive calls through the headsets. This is really lame. Why have such a nice cell phone if you can’t use it to make calls while driving. A ticket carries two points against your driving record. I think we probably should switch over to the Blackberry cell phones which and do everything with its push to talk ability.

7. ceprateek

ceprateek Active Member

Yes, its for our safety because when we are on hands free the concentration is not 100% and with so much traffic on roads we need 100% concentration to be safe. By using hands free we are not just risking our life, but also the lifes of other people.

8. Wes

Wes New Member

Understanding what is "hands-free".........

Above posing is not correct. Hands-free means you can not touch the cell phone while driving. By not being able to touch the cell phone while driving you are in compliance with the CA vehicle code. You are not endagering yourself or others. Test the I-phone by placing the phone in the trunk of your car or in the bed of your truck. Now make an outgoing call from the drivers seat. If you cant, without touching the phone, then your cell phone is not compliant. Can you tell the cell phone to call any number by using the Bluetooth headset only?