To unlock or not unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by attagirl2, Jan 6, 2009.

1. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

What are the downfalls to unlocking your iPhone and what would cause you not to unlock your phone. Is it working with other service providers.

2. descorpio

descorpio Well-Known Member

I prefer unlocking my i phone.The main disadvantage of not unlocking your i Phone as you said is that you can use it only with AT&T.As per my current mobile plans,AT charges are more.So instead of paying more every month,I preferred unlocking the phone.One main advantage of not unlocking is that you are always eligible for any warranty.In case of unlocking,I need to reset it back to factory settings using I tunes in case i am in need of a warranty.

3. ceprateek

ceprateek Active Member

Hi
    I could not find any disadvantages of unlocking. I am using unlocked iPhone in UK and travel all around the world with it. There should be network portability as locked with AT&T its of no use to maximum people.

4. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I would unlock my Iphone which I actually did. I prefer not to have a normal mobile phone contract as I get pay as you go sim cards. I do this as I often have to change phone numbers so an unlocked Iphone is a must for me.

5. cogbuddy

cogbuddy Well-Known Member

unlocking is a good option as contact with the provider was proving costly for my budget

6. kva65

kva65 New Member

You can unlock your mobile from the particular service provider or you can get the code from mobile unlocker

7. spoiledcat805

spoiledcat805 Member

hey i am new to this site and need some help unlocking my iphone!

i just joined a site online called unlockediphone.com and paid for the new iphone 3G and 3Gs unlock software and i downloaded it but when i go to do the restore on itunes i can't select any of the downloaded files?

i have the 8.2 version of itunes which it says i need and my phone is in dtf restore mode and i did the shift key and restore to select the files manually but cant click anything!

has anyone come across this problem and if so how did you fix it?

oh and i already renamed the file as i was instructed to which was to make it an ipsw file so that is done, followed instructions to a T

8. spoiledcat805

spoiledcat805 Member

every one of the files i downloaded i can read and do whatever with but when i go to do the restore through itunes and go to restore from those files they are all background images and can't be selected!

please help, of coarse the company i signed up for to provide this software for me and support has no number for customers and they lag on email responses

9. Sam100

Sam100 Well-Known Member

Those who need more apps (using Cydia instead of App Store)other than the standard apps that come with iPhone can unlock it. Others who are satisfied with the apps provided by apple can stay locked. This is how I am.

10. geraldhansen

geraldhansen New Member

Can anyone point me in the general direction on a "how to" for this. And does it affect upgrades?