Jailbroke?

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by busybee, Jan 6, 2009.

1. busybee

busybee Member

I still don't know what unlocking the phone means then I come in here and see all sorts of threads about jail breaking it? Argh! I can't even begin to guess what this is, let alone figure out if I should do it or not.

2. halogen19

halogen19 Active Member

Well Jailbreaking means, (as far as I know), unlocking your iPhone so that it can use some other sim operators than the one you bought it from.

Say, if you bought it from AT & T, they bind you in a contract, and you have to use their services no matter what they charge. But jailbreaking allows you to hack your phone and let it accept some other operators too.

3. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

Many phone can be unlocked so that you can use the phone with other sim phone providers, this is no exception to that. You can do it but keep in mind that since AT@T is the only authorized carrier of the service, you are going to lose some functions.

4. Walrusaurus

Walrusaurus Well-Known Member

Jailbreaking

This means that you can download third party software, as well as customize it more. It does not however mean that you can use it with other carriers. For that you would need to unlock it, which does just that, allows you to use it with nearly any other carrier.

5. halogen19

halogen19 Active Member

I always thought Jailbreaking and Unlocking meant the same thing? Is it the way I've read your post or I thought wrong?

What would be the difference in the two anyways? I can't seem to understand it. Someone please explain it to me.

6. busybee

busybee Member

Well, then jailbreaking sounds more useful to me then unlocking it does as I don't have any desire to use a different carrier. Wouldn't jailbreaking the phone void any warranty though? What about your contract if something should happen due to jailbreaking or the third party software that you install?

7. Walrusaurus

Walrusaurus Well-Known Member

so

Jailbreaking does unfortunately void the warranty. And jailbreaking and unlocking are different, and one would have to jailbreak first to unlock. Hope it helps, and there is technically a possibility that apple could brick (deactivate) your iphone completely, although this is highly unlikely.

8. halogen19

halogen19 Active Member

I've heard that if you jailbreak and want Apple's services, you can again restore the real firmware from iTunes.

Just download the latest firmware from Apple, run iTunes, and update your iPhone's firmware through iPhone. You should be fine!

9. descorpio

descorpio Well-Known Member

Basically as far as i have read in internet,Jailbreaking your i phone,enables you to install some third party software to make use of some advanced features which cannot be used otherwise.But unlocking your phone helps you you use some other carrrier as that of T-Mobile instead of Apple alone,in case of i phone

10. ceprateek

ceprateek Active Member

Yes, when you unlock/jailbreak you can use many other third party applications. You are actually many features which are locked and there is no feature which is disabled by unlocking.
    I have unlocked my iPhone and no feature is disabled.