Dumb, newbie question

Discussion in 'iPhone Newbies' started by busybee, Jan 6, 2009.

1. busybee

busybee Member

I am totally new to the iPhone and even any type of cell phone as I've never carried one. Please tell me what unlocking my phone means and why I should have to do this?

2. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

Well for the most part you would not need to unlock your phone. But in the case where one service provider is licensed for iPhone then you might want to have it unlocked so you can use it with other providers and not just the one that Apple gave it too. You do have to look at the downside of unlocking this phone as well. So if you are just getting a new phone and it is not the apple iPhone then unlocking would not be an issue really.

3. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Suggest You Explore iPhone As Is First

I do not think that you have to do it.

I strongly suggest that you first get acclimated to your iPhone and explore its capabilities just as it is. It's a pretty darn powerful and useful tool. Connect to itunes and download some software and/or games from the App Store.

We have many people on this forum who are power users. Many of them discuss the benefits of jailbreaking and unlocking--you do not need to do either of those, unless you become interested later.

4. busybee

busybee Member

Thank you for the information. I was browsing through some of the posts here and kind of panicked when I read all this stuff. I was sure that I was doing something wrong since I didn't do any of that.

5. cogbuddy

cogbuddy Well-Known Member