Compare old iPhone with 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Newbies' started by joeknows, Jan 3, 2009.

1. joeknows

joeknows Active Member

I am curious as to the performance difference between the first generation iPhone and the newer 3G iPhone. How much faster does the internet, mail, and downloads go? Also, does the battery life last longer on the 3G than on an older model?

2. descorpio

descorpio Well-Known Member

The main difference between the first iphone and the newer Iphone is based on the make.The first i phone was basically made of steel body.But the newer one is mainly made out of plastic casing,so the weight is greatly reduced.The 3G network is considered twice as fast as the old model!!!

3. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

AT&T Appears To Be Stacking The Deck

I have a 2.5G 16GB iPhone. It pretty much does all that i really need for now.

However, I have noticed, as time passes, that my signal quality is not as good as when I first purchased it (2/08). I came across a blog post that, back in 8/2008, mentioned that there was a rumor that AT&T was building out their newer 3G at the expense of their 2G customers (like me). Within the past few days, this same blogger uncovered an official communication from AT&T which basically admitted as much.

While we all have known that 3G is "the future", it now appears that existing 2G customers' ability to acquire and maintain a cell phone signal is being downgraded as AT&T continues to aggressively upgrade their 3G network.

CONCLUSION:
    While, up to now, I have been very satisfied with my decision to remain with the 2G iPhone, it now appears that I am increasingly being given the "short end of the stick" by beloved AT&T. I may soon have no other realistic choice than to upgrade to 3G sooner rather than later.

4. joeknows

joeknows Active Member

It seems a bit early for Apple to start phasing out the old 2G network. I understand that they need to keep up with what is current or the future, but to sacrifice a technology that many are still using is poor customer service. They are forcing people to upgrade to something before they should have to.

5. blue frog

blue frog Well-Known Member

Poor Customer Service VS More Profit for AT&T

You got that right. AT&T is deliberately providing poor customer service while they build out their 3G network.

My 2G service cost me less money per month. 3G service costs customers more per month. HMMM, which way to go muses AT&T. Obviously, they have chosen to line their pockets at the expense of existing 2G customers.

Someday, an opportunity for customer retribution/vengence will present itself.

AT&T, karma is a bitch!

6. WPeterson

WPeterson Member

ye know, the processor, and the network was optimized in 3g iphone. and with 3g network from AT&T, all things are fine.

7. ceprateek

ceprateek Active Member

There are many changes and best is the 3G addition. The data speed is now great and this was missing in previous iPhone. The new iPhone is also sleek.
    I dumped my old iPhone and now using the new iPhone 3G

8. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

You know that difference alone would be worth it for someone who drops the phone all the time. I mean the case really does make the difference. I do not care that it would be light weight in comparison.

9. cogbuddy

cogbuddy Well-Known Member

Comparing to old iphone and 3G iphone , one can find lot of changes in features.
    The touch screen is bit faster , you can see that the weight of iphone 3g is much less than older, data transfering is much speed now than before.
    Internet speed is good and battery life is also is better than before.