Unlocking Your 3G iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by cogbuddy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. cogbuddy

cogbuddy Well-Known Member

Well today is the mega release of the software called yellowsn0w which can unlock your 3G iPhone. As stated in my last thread, it was created by a group of ethical hackers who basically like pulling apart the phone and figuring out new stuff about it.

You can find a tutorial on how to release your SIM over here.

Follow the steps and your iPhone should become independant :)

2. halogen19

halogen19 Active Member

Wow thanks for this cogbuddy, I'm gonna go out in 2-3 days and get the sim of the best vendor out there, and hope it works. I'm sick and tired of AT and T anyways!

I might also take it to India, so it will be good if it works there with the likes of Airtel. Wow again this is great news for all the iPhone owners!

3. cogbuddy

cogbuddy Well-Known Member

Apparently the version they released yesterday only worked for some users, so today they released a new update, version 0.9.4. You can read more about it at the blog over here. So now it SHOULD work, but it's still in BETA, so you're using it at your own risk :)

4. halogen19

halogen19 Active Member

I hate that line -"Use it at your own risk" :p

What I don't want is my iPhone dead due to some reason or the other. Its still in warranty so if its dead probably Apple would know and wouldn't repair it without charging abominable prices.

Do you know how can I restore my iPhone back if it goes dead after trying to unlock it?

5. Cracker

Cracker Member

Can I ask something stupid? What is independent? Does that mean I can take my Iphone to some other provider? if that is yes, do you loose any of the features?

6. attagirl2

attagirl2 Well-Known Member

That is the issue, once you open that thing and modify anything they can void the warranty, so you better hope you did not buy an extended warranty. I think that is why the use at your own risk comes into play to cover them.

7. ceprateek

ceprateek Active Member

I too will use this application after a month because I need some good reviews of this application before trying it out on my iPhone.
    Guys take my advice, just wait and watch for few days and when there are good reviews only then use this application on your iPhone 3G.

8. jamesb

jamesb Well-Known Member

I am so happy that I live in Thailand as you can just take your Iphone over to the shop and they unlock it for you for like 5 dollars. I would rather not play around with my Iphone myself.