Iphone 3g update help

Discussion in 'iPhone Newbies' started by sydye, Dec 30, 2008.

1. sydye

sydye New Member

hey all

i bought an iphone 3g the other day and i wanted to update the firmware to 2.1, but when i plug the iphone in my itunes will only give me the option to update it to 2.2

is their anyway i can update to 2.1?

thanks

2. Walrusaurus

Walrusaurus Well-Known Member

Maybe

I'm not sure, but i would try downloading the 2.1 software directly from apple (if you can find it, and sorry i dont have a link), at least thats what i did to get a copy of 2.2 software.

Any reason you dont want 2.2 though?

3. sydye

sydye New Member

because i want to unlock my iphone (when the software comes out) and if i update to 2.2 it changes the baseband to 2.28 doesnt it?

tried looking on apple but i cant find a download for 2.1 :S

4. Walrusaurus

5. sydye

sydye New Member

thanks for the info walrusaurus :)

still id like to update my phone to 2.1, ive found a firmware download now but im still not sure how i go about updating it on to my phone :S

6. seth

seth Member

Have you tried looking on a warez site for the files? I know it's technically against the rules, but if Apple have stopped doing the 2.1 firmware, it's maybe the only way?
    I mean, if you own an iPhone then it's not so illegal? I don't really use warez sites, but i can imagine that they'll be something kicking around?

7. sydye

sydye New Member

hey ive got the file now its the 2.1.ipsw file but i dont know how to install it onto my phone =/

8. Walrusaurus

I know :)!!

Ok, so what you do now is put your phone into DFU mode,

iClarified - iPhone - How to Put an iPhone Into DFU Mode (Comments)

Watch the video there, it will show you how, then after doing what it says there, when it says that itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode, click on restore while holding the option key (I did this on a mac, should be the same for windows) then select the IPSW file that you have of 2.1, and hit restore, it should extract the 2.0 software, then put the 2.1 on. it should take about 5-10 minutes. After it will ask which iphone backup you want to use, just select the same one as you had backed up before, instead of setting it up as a new iphone. just as a backup plan though, maybe write down any contacts or important things from your previous backup.

if for some reason an error occurs, you can always do the same steps (DFU mode, click restore while holding the option key, selecting the 2.1 software etc...) and set it up as a new iphone. but it should work fine.

Let me know if you have any other problems or questions.

Good luck :)

9. kruni

kruni New Member

hey,
    iphone is great phone, it provide us if for some reason an error occurs, you can always do the same steps (DFU mode, click restore while holding the option key, selecting the 2.1 software etc...) and set it up as a new iphone. but it should work fine.