What are the issues of upgrading a jailbroken iPhone 2G from 1.1.4 to 2.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone 2G' started by kunalashar, Dec 28, 2008.

1. kunalashar

kunalashar Member

I have a jailbroken 2G iPhone running firmware 1.1.4 with lots of downloaded applications, and everything is kosher.

I was thinking of upgrading the firmware to 2.2 (the latest). Research on the net revealed that users *seem* to have encountered a lot of issues with the 2.x firmware, including:
    1. Hanging at the boot logo/screen
    2. Repeatedly rebooting without ever going past the apple boot logo
    3. Vanishing EDGE settings
    4. Inability to get past the "Emergency Calls" screen
    5. Limited/fewer number of free applications available on 2.2 than 1.1.4
    6. iPhone hangs/locks up when sliding the "Slide to Unlock" slider

Are there any more known issues? What are the real risks of upgrading to the 2.2 firmware?

I'd like to leave well enough alone, but I'm tempted by some of the newer apps that have appeared on the iTunes AppStore, and I can't acces the AppStore unless I'm using firmware 2.2.

Any ideas?
    TIA.

2. kunalashar

kunalashar Member

After some difficulty (and 2 retries), I managed to upgrade to 2.2.

Now, when accessing the internet over the wireless, the iPhone has become *SO SLOW*, that I'm tempted... nay... *sorely* tempted to fling it across the room, preferably at something unyielding, like a wall.

Any suggestions or tips on what the problem could be?

3. kunalashar

kunalashar Member

My wifi problems turned out to be because of fw 2.2.

A post by a member on another forum mentioned that fw 2.2 has problems with wifi networks that use WEP encryption (apparently it's not even supported in fw 2.2).

I changed my wifi encryption to WPA2-PSK and viola! All the problems vanished. The wifi connectivity that had become shaky, unreliable and slow suddenly righted itself. And I didn't even have to reset my network connections, leave alone do another restore/jailbreak/unlock/reboot.

4. cogbuddy

cogbuddy Well-Known Member

I truly recommend waiting before upgrading your firmware to 2.2. Wait around 3-5 days for them to sort out the bugs/errors and then upgrade. As you're waiting that 3-5 days the people that did upgrade and are having problems would of reported them and fixes and patches would be about to be released.

Patience my friend :)

5. halogen19

halogen19 Active Member

Well if everything was fine you should've sticked to your old firmware. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it unless its guaranteed.

The wifi problems might be as you say, related to the firmware. Glad its all sorted now though, good job.

6. kunalashar

kunalashar Member

:) I was looking to install some useful apps from the iTunes AppStore, but it wouldn't let me, because my fw was old. And then newer 2.x-based apps on Cydia wouldn't install either.

Anyway, I'm glad it's worked out. It took me the better part of a week to iron out all the issues.

7. halogen19

halogen19 Active Member

Ah then, that explains it. Shame apple and stuff manipulate so much. Its actually firmware, some companies actually force you to buy something else! Adobe anyone?

Apple is really on a steady trend, I used to hate them in the past, but they've got quite a lot of my respect now. Still, Windows > Macs. :p But, iPhone > Any other phone out there / PMP, even Zune. :)