iTunes Wont Recognize iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Discussion & Support' started by cueball, Sep 8, 2007.

1. cueball

cueball New Member

When I open iTunes and connect my iPhone, iTunes doesn't recognize my iPhone. I checked in My Computer and it says it's connected. It was working fine earlier. I have Vista and iTunes 7.3.2.6. My iPhone doesn't show up at all in iTunes and I also cannot get the newest upgrade on iTunes. Something about Apple Software Update has Stopped Working.
  2. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

3. cueball

cueball New Member

OK. I was able to connect to iTunes but just one time. I couldn't do it again after that. I went to apple website and installed the latest version of iTunes and it still wouldn't recognize my iphone. After about 20 attempts it finally recognized it. Not sure if it will do it again after this time.

I wonder if I should restore my iphone. If I do will I lose all my contacts, phone numbers, etc. that I manually put in my phone?

Thanks!
  4. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Some links for you:

Apple - Support - iPhone - iTunes Troubleshooting
    Apple - Support - iPhone - Phone Troubleshooting
    iPhone: Basic troubleshooting

Yes: Apple - Support - iPhone - Phone Troubleshooting

5. codyc03

codyc03 New Member

I have the solution...TRUST ME. I have done all of the restore, reinstall, update drivers...etc...here is the SOLUTION. It seems that when you plug your iPhone in for the first time, your PC automatically installs the iPhone as a "Camera device". This is the problem. All you need to do is point it to the correct driver, which is a USB driver in device manager. Follow these steps, I will bet that it solves all of your recognition issues.

1. 1. First off you need to have iTunes installed and the ipod touch plugged in
    and recognized as ‘something’ e.g. digital camera (it shouldn’t really
    matter what it’s recognized as, but it needs to be found by windows).

2. Search for usbaapl in the C:\WINDOWS system folder:
    o open windows explorer (e.g. Right-click Start and then click ‘explore’)
    o right-click the WINDOWS folder and select ‘Search’).
    o type in usbaapl and hit Search – try to ignore the dog!
    You should find the driver info in a sub folder of
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE e.g. C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\usbaapl_A65621D65F5B7 507DD7B22331826547BDD2D206B
    Remember that location (either leave the search box open or copy the folder
    name into note pad – you’ll need it later)
    If you don’t find usbaapl.sys, usbaapl.inf etc. then your drivers have not
    been installed with the iTunes install and you’ll have to reinstall iTunes.

3. Locate the ipod-camera device:
    o Open the device manager, e.g. using Start > Control Panel >
    Performance and Maintenance > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
    o Look for a device called ‘ipod’ - if your ipod shows up as
    ‘digital camera’ it will be under something like ‘imaging devices’.

4. Update the driver:
    o Right click the ‘ipod-camera’ in device manager and click on
    ‘Update Driver’ – the Hardware Update Wizard will open.
    o Check the ‘Install from a list or specific location’ then click ‘Next’
    o Check ‘Dont search. I will choose the driver to install' click 'Next'
    Here you should see the Apple Device to update, click "Have Disk"
    In the text box below type (or better copy and paste) or browse the folder
    containing the ipod driver information found in step 1 (in the example
    above it was C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\usbaapl_A65621D65F5B7 507DD7B22331826547BDD2D206B),
    Click "OK"

DONE!! the driver is now updated and located in the correct USB port
    Adventure Game likes this.

6. spesimen

spesimen New Member

thanks codyc03!!!
    after trying various reinstalls etc i found this forum page on google and your advice was the only one that actually fixed the problem for me. as you suggested windows suddenly decided my phone was a camera (in my case it occured after updating to the most recent itunes version..) this fix should be on apple's support page!!

on my system the drivers were located at:
    C:\Progam Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

i owe you a beer or something.
    cheers,
    -andy c
  7. Hawks9718

Hawks9718 New Member

Having the same problem as the OP, I followed cody's advice.. But once I select "have disk" and select the folder location it tells me, "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware." I tried the folder locations that cody and spesimen both mentioned.... What now?
  8. jlnjz

jlnjz New Member

Hawks9718 -- I was having the same problem that you were. I googled and found this site and tried to follow the directions above with no luck. Here's what ended up working for me -- go to Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, select Hardware Tab, click on Device Manager, You should see Imaging Devices, open that file and you should see Apple iPhone, right click on Apple iphone and select disable.

I got into this problem because I was trying to get all the pictures off my phone. I was able to do that but then iTunes wouldn't recognize the phone. So I followed the directions above and I was able to Sync my phone. BUT, I realized all of the pictures were still there -- I thought they would delete automatically after I copied them -- so with my phone connected and open to the camera, I went back in and enabled the Apple iPhone and that allowed me to access the pictures on the phone and delete them
  9. anabanana

anabanana New Member

hy! i am from croatia and my english is not so good but i just wanna say THANKS to Cody(something) and try to help you! i have had same problem like you-i did everything Cody says but at the end i get same message like you "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".. but then i go to the "universal serial bus controllers" instead "imaging devices" ,open list of usb ports and right click on one which shows your apple device(iphone or ipod)and did everything Cody said to do in "imaging devices"... i hope i help you!
  10. garykirsten63

garykirsten63 New Member

Thanks coddy a lot. Your mentioned way worked very smooth for me. I was facing the problem as the OP and solved very easily following your steps.